Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

How could I display on an html page...

Quote Reply
How could I display on an html page...
How could I display on an html page the current number of records in a database automatically?
Quote Reply
Re: How could I display on an html page... In reply to
Do you want this to appear within the pages created by DBMAN? Or do you want to have this appear on a static web page outside of DBMAN?

If it is the former, then you can the add the following sub-routine in your db.cgi file:

Code:
sub num_records {
# --------------------------------------------------------
# Displays the number of records

my $count = 0;

open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in num_records. unable to open database:
$db_file_name.\nReason: $!");
LINE: while (<DB> ) {
if (!(/^#/) && !(/^\s*$/)) {
$count++;
}
}
print $count;
}

Then in your html_records or html_home (basically any sub-routine that you want to post the total number of records), place the following codes:

Code:
HTML CODES
|; &num_records; print qq|
HTML CODES

If it's the latter, it could possibly be done through SSI (Server Side Includes) codes.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
If anyone knows how to get the totals from specific fields to appear on static pages outside of DBMan I would like to know about it.
Quote Reply
Don and Dave, Eliot is right. In order to have any counts printed on a static html page, you would have to write a separate script and use an SSI.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Yes I want to display it on a static html page outside of the pages generated by dbman. Does anybody know of an SSI routine that could accomplish this?
Quote Reply
Hmm, well for SSI all that you need to do is create another sub that prints out a page exactly like you want it to look, and then call the page via an SSI include using the default user.