Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

How does "match any" work?

Quote Reply
How does "match any" work?

The "Keyword search" says it will match against all fields. Yet when I try to type in more than one word (ie, "network general" on the demo database here), and click on "Match Any," it returns no results (although it should return some because there are records with the words "network" and "general" in them). How does "Match Any" work if not in this manner?

Thanks!
John
Quote Reply
Re: How does "match any" work? In reply to
Hello grohol

network general has to be together, not
network...bla, bla, bla...general.

Cheers
-JO
Quote Reply
I'm not sure this is clear...

So there is no way to do a keyword search across fields with multiple words?

What exactly does the "Match Any" option do then? I can't seem to distinguish its behavior when checked versus when not checked. (Yes, I checked the documentation...)

John
Quote Reply
hello,

* So there is no way to do a keyword search across fields with multiple words?

I am afraid not Frown

The minute you put 2 words on any field, it will try to match those 2 words together.

the match any will match for the specific keyword in all of your fields. If you put two keywords together it will search for those two words together in all of the fields. The result will be successful if any of your fields contain that/those keyword/keywords.

Cheers
-JO
Quote Reply
Jamie is right. The match any option means produce a result if one or more of your fiels match. So if you search for Title = 'Gossamer' and URL = 'gossamer-threads', then normally it only produces a result if both match. With match any, it will produce a result if either match.

Using the keyword field will let you enter one word that will be checked against every field in the database, and if any match, the whole record matches.

There is no support to break a search term up into keywords (yet). It is something I'm looking at doing though.

Cheers,

Alex