Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

I can't even get the demo to work running under Windows NT

Quote Reply
I can't even get the demo to work running under Windows NT
I have tried and tried to get the demo to run and have been unsuccessful. I have read JPDeni's manual and have tried over and over. Each time I would try to run the script I would get the 500 internal error. So then I changed db.cgi to db.pl and then I was getting the message "DBMan encountered an internal error. Please enable debugging to view." I have checked my perl path and it is correct, I just cannot figure out what is wrong. I would greatly appreciate any help possible, if you need anymore info, just tell me.

ThanksSmile.

Chris Eyhorn
Quote Reply
Re: [chris_eyhorn] I can't even get the demo to work running under Windows NT In reply to
Search in the forum for a thread:

"DBMan in a Windows environment - Checklist"
AstroBoy 12-Oct-00
Thread: http://gossamer-threads.com/p/108916

or look for the same thread in the FAQ noted below under "Troubleshooting"

I'm sure this post will help you to find a solution. If the url is not correct search by the title of the thread.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] I can't even get the demo to work running under Windows NT In reply to
I have read and done all of the things that I read under the Windows checklist. And I still can't get it to work. Here is what my files look like. Do you see anything wrong?

My db.pl is set to this:

# If you run into problems, set $db_script_path to the full path
# to your directory.
$db_script_path = "http://www.texasato.com/cgi-bin/dbman";

And my default.cfg is:

# File and URL's
# --------------------------------------------------------
# URL of the directory dbman resides in. No Trailing Slash Please.
$db_dir_url = "http://www.texasato.com/cgi-bin/dbman";
# URL of dbman.
$db_script_url = $db_dir_url . "/db.pl";
# Full Path and File name of the database file.
$db_file_name = $db_script_path . "/default.db";
# Full path and file name of the counter file.
$db_id_file_name = $db_script_path . "/default.count";
# Full path and file name of the authorization directory.
$auth_dir = $db_script_path . "/auth";
# Full path and file name of the password file.
$auth_pw_file = $db_script_path . "/default.pass";
# Full path and file name of the log file.
$auth_log_file = $db_script_path . "/default.log";
# Full path and file name of the html routines.
require $db_script_path . "/html.pl";

I really appreciate the help, I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure this out.

ThanksSmile
Quote Reply
Re: [chris_eyhorn] I can't even get the demo to work running under Windows NT In reply to
Quote:
$db_script_path = "http://www.texasato.com/cgi-bin/dbman";

Note above you are pointing to a URL in your script PATH setting. On a Windows box it should look something like this :

$db_script_path = "c:/inetpub/cgi-bin/dbman";

Of course change the actual path to match your setup.
easy does it
Quote Reply
Re: [Bearwithme] I can't even get the demo to work running under Windows NT In reply to
Do I need to call my web hosting company to get the script path? Or is there another way to find it?

Thanks,

Chris Eyhorn
Quote Reply
Enter the wrong path on purpose and turn on debugging. The error message will show you the right path.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] I can't even get the demo to work running under Windows NT In reply to
I have tried to turn the debugging on, but I still just get the same message that "DBMan encountered an internal error. Please enable debugging to view." To turn on the dubugging all I need to do is just set it from "0" to "1", right?

Thanks,

Chris Eyhorn
Quote Reply
Try the following:

print $0;

Put it in one of the subroutines such as the login page and then go to db.cgi in your browser.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] I can't even get the demo to work running under Windows NT In reply to
What file do I put that in and where. I'm sorry i'm not very familar with perl.

Thanks,

Chris Eyhorn
Quote Reply
Hi Chris, you would look in html.pl for the login sub (toward the bottom) to add that code.

Chris, if you did not get a path error when you knew the path was incorrect, you probably have something else amiss in your config file. Review the file and make sure you have a , (comma) at the end of each field definition EXCEPT the last one. Check that your field numbers are sequential starting with '0' and check that each perl statement has a trailing ; . You'll also need to check that the field names you've defined in default.cfg each have an input field in the sub html_form section of the html.pl file. Each field must have an input in the form.

If you do not locate the problem after doublechecking those items, save your default.cfg file as default.txt and upload to your server so it can be viewed via the web. Post another message here providing the URL for the file.

~ Karen