Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Installation Part 2

Quote Reply
Installation Part 2
I am having problems with my authorization directory auth.

All of my dbman files are in the cgi-bin directory which has permissions set to 755. I need to located the auth directory outside of the cgi-bin directory so that I can have the permissions set to 777 for auth (isp requirement). But I can't seem to get the default.cfg file to recognize the change. I changed the auth path to an absolute path:
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/auth but I get a cgi error with the configuration set this way. The default configuration works but this assumes that auth is a subdirectory of cgi-bin.

Any ideas will be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Installation Part 2 In reply to
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure you got the permission thing right. the Auth folder should be 777 Now you run across the problem of place the auth folder outside of the cgi-bin directory. But what you wrote below looks a little strang for an Apache server setup. I've been on 2 servers now but my path was completely different: home/public_html/"user name (you!!)"/auth.

Next do you have debugging on? If so Dbman will give you script location ... this is a major clue .... try using what dbman recommends -- it might contradict the server's advice but it worked for me.

LOGON error message--- umm, using the ?uid=default.cfg does that for some reason but you should still be able to logon with whatever you set your default.cfg to. ie, guest/guest or even Jonny/1234

PATHS -- you need to look at the db.cgi line 37 or so for the path configuration. And in the default.cfg areas with "/default.cfg" etc.. You could play the url path game such as defining the main url to only "http://www.XXXXX.com/~XXXXX/ --- no cgi-bin and no dbman directory (oh that's right you just dropped everything in to the cgi-bin) then down in the default.cfg set all the "/blah blah" to "/cgi-bin/default.cfg" and "/cgi-bin/blah blah" Except for the auth directory which would only be "/auth"

I like using separate folders(directories) for all my CGI scripts to keep myself organized.

For now, get DBMAN running then try to fiddle with all the other fun stuff later Smile Don't forget to watch what your doing in the default.cfg such as assigning permissions You might just lock yourself out. I've done that once Smile

Cheers and good luck -- I hope I've been of help