Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Local Set Up Problems WinXP

Quote Reply
Local Set Up Problems WinXP
I'm having a problem getting DBMan to work on my computer. I'm running XP and I have successfully installed Apache and Perl. I can run other scripts so I know that the path to Perl is correct, etc.

I have read every thread I could find on installing DBMan on a Windows platform and tried the suggestions offered. I'm getting the "DBMan encountered an internal error. Please enable debugging to view." I have turned on debugging but do not get any messages.

I'm thinking this must be a path problem- I have this in db.dgi...

$db_script_path = "c:\apache\htdocs\dbman";

but I have tried different variations to no avail. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. If anybody is running this on XP (although I don't know if that makes a difference from NT and 2000)?
I played with dbman for about a month ( I use Links 2 ). Many times when I encountered that type of error, it was usually because of errors in the default.cfg file - in particular the %db_def section.

Have you make any changes to the code right out of the box? If so, make the %db_def sections agrees with the default.db - that is the one that usually got me.

If you can run other perl programs, then it probably is not the path, assuming use are using the same path in dbman.

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
Re: [esm] Local Set Up Problems WinXP In reply to
I am just trying to get the demo or "out of box" version running locally on my XP Comp- I have not made any changes to the %db_def section. The only lines I have changed are the $db_dir_url in the cfg file and the $db_script_path in the cgi file, as indicated in some of the other threads I read regarding setting up DBMan on a local machine running windows.

Last edited by:

Lem Motlow: Apr 8, 2003, 1:01 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Lem Motlow] Local Set Up Problems WinXP In reply to
There are a few more issues to look at, please note these are off the top of my head, sorry I can't tell you exactly.

make sure that both the extensions .pl and .cgi are executed as perl?

make sure the directories can be written to by perl such as the Auth directory?

Are you running your perl program (including dbman) on a single computer such that the output is returned to the "screen" or do you make a request to the Server from a second machine and thus the output is returned via the server? (I am trying to ask if you think it is the Apache layer failing or the perl layer?)?

I guess mixing Apache and WIN XP is out of my league. I have used the windows ISS server with Perl and DBman, and I know that combination has been covered well in this forum, and certainly there is a weath of information on *nix Apache - Perl - dbman, combinations.

Just don't throw out the baby (DBman) with the bath water (WIN XP).
Quote Reply
Re: [Lem Motlow] Local Set Up Problems WinXP In reply to
Don't you have a separate cgi-bin directory for Perl scripts?

If you do, then change
$db_script_path = "c:\apache\htdocs\dbman";
to
$db_script_path = "c:/apache/htdocs/cgi-bin/dbman";

If not, then change it to
$db_script_path = "c:/apache/htdocs/dbman";

Note the use of forward slashes instead of back slashes, to avoid possible problems with Perl interpreting parts of the path as escape sequences (for example, \n is a newline, \t is a tab).

Win 95/98/NT/2000/XP happily accept forward slashes in paths. Only older versions of DOS require back slashes instead.

Also, you can usually drop the drive letter off the path if Apache, Perl, and your web server root directory are on the same drive:-

$db_script_path = "/apache/htdocs/dbman";

Change your other paths to this format too.
Quote Reply
Re: [joematt] Local Set Up Problems WinXP In reply to
Thanks for the suggestions...

In Reply To:
make sure that both the extensions .pl and .cgi are executed as perl?

I can run scripts with the .cgi extension- I put a test.cgi script in the dbman directory and it runs fine.

In Reply To:
make sure the directories can be written to by perl such as the Auth directory?

Here's what I did on this- when to folder properties and made sure the "read only" box was unchecked.

In Reply To:
Are you running your perl program (including dbman) on a single computer such that the output is returned to the "screen" or do you make a request to the Server from a second machine and thus the output is returned via the server? (I am trying to ask if you think it is the Apache layer failing or the perl layer?)?

All running on one machine.

I am getting the "DBMan encountered an internal error. Please enable debugging to view." Have I debugging enabled, but not getting the messages- any thoughts on that? The scripts is starting, so that led me to the path problem.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I have tried (I think) every possible combination of back and forward slashes etc.

In Reply To:

$db_script_path = "/apache/htdocs/dbman";

Change your other paths to this format too.

Which other paths are you speaking of? Isn't this the only place it needs to be done? perhaps I'm missing something.

Any thoughts on how to get debugging to work? It's enabled but I'm getting no messages. Thanks for your input.
Ok, I'm working fine now. Apparently, I must have changed something in all my trial and error so the script would not run. Blush Went back to a "clean" version and it runs fine. Thanks for the suggestions tho.

For the record, I'm running XP and Apache and all I had to do to get the script running was to change the URL to:

$db_dir_url = "http://127.0.0.1/dbman";

I didn't have to even put in the full path in db.cgi-
$db_script_path = "."; works fine.
I meant the other paths in your .cfg file (default.cfg or whatever).

I didn't realise you were editing db.cgi instead, or I'd have said "Don't. You shouldn't need to do that..."