Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Name "main::db_max_hits" used only once: possible typo at db.cgi line 361.

Quote Reply
I've looked through the forum for this error with no luck. I am fairly new at the Perl/CGI thing. Also, not a pro on Unix. But I am a programmer in other languages and can pretty much grind my way through Perl. I've installed everything according to the README.txt, uploaded in ASCII, set all my paths correctly. When I run in my browser I get an Internal Server Error. Running in shell I get this:

$ perl -cw db.cgi

Name "main::auth_signup_permissions" used only once: possible typo at db.cgi lin
e 704.
Name "main::db_not_null" used only once: possible typo at db.cgi line 791.
Name "main::db_bold" used only once: possible typo at db.cgi line 521.
Name "main::db_debug" used only once: possible typo at db.cgi line 66.
Name "main::auth_no_authentication" used only once: possible typo at db.cgi line
Name "main::db_script_link_url" used only once: possible typo at db.cgi line 84.
Name "main::auth_view_own" used only once: possible typo at db.cgi line 367.
db.cgi syntax OK

Help please.. e'mail addresses would also be appreciated.. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Name "main::db_max_hits" used only once: possible typo at db.cgi line 361. In reply to
All of those "used only once" variables are used only once in db.cgi. But they are also used (or set) in the other scripts. For example, $auth_signup_permissions is set in the .cfg file, as are $db_bold, $db_debug, $db_max_hits, $auth_no_authentication and $auth_view_own. Setting these variables in one place makes it much easier for the user, rather than having to go through the db.cgi script to change things. $db_not_null comes from the field definition in the .cfg file.

I installed activestate's version of Perl on my home computer. When I come up with an error, I run the script unconnected to any server, using a DOS window
perl c:\path\to\script.pl

For most of them, if it works, nothing happens. That means there's nothing wrong. But it will locate syntax errors in the scripts.

I would check again to be sure the paths are correct and (you're gonna hate this) upload the files again. If you're still having problems, make your scripts available on the web so we can take a look at them.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Re: Name "main::db_max_hits" used only once: possible typo at db.cgi line 361. In reply to
thanks! You really did help.
I decided to delete everything and start over from scratch.. Come to find out, it was the simplest thing.. I had the wrong path set to my perl interpreter.. I guess I expected an error message to tell me that..

Thanks again,
Mike