Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Need some feedback...

Quote Reply
Need some feedback...
I am curious of a few things. I finished all the modifications I want to DBMAN but before I decide to use it I have a few ? It seems like after I did the mods it "runs" slower will it so this?

Also, I have like 3 times now (in a day)gone to create a new account it tell me "account created" and when you go to log in it says its invalid. You go and look and its not there? This happened to someone else to. Any idea?

Thanks in advance for the input!
~Gina
Quote Reply
Re: Need some feedback... In reply to
It may run a little slower, depending on the mods you want to include. What mods are you using?

You might try using the benchmark feature to see how much time it's taking.

I won't be able to answer your question about the usernames until I know which mods you have added.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I have the censor mod, the short/long mod #2, and the change password & lookup password mods. Plus a couple little changes here and there. What will running the benchmark show? If it shows its running slow is there a way to fix it? Or will I now just KNOW its running slow..lol

I looked at the pass file and found the 2 times it happened! I laughed the user info is there but not listed on its own "line" they are at the end of the prior record.

I have another ? also. I have the Userid field turned on so it adds the "owner" of the record. I made this field a type="hidden" it works for what I want (the user not being about to modify it) but when I modify the record I get a Userid cant be left blank error. Is there a better way to acomplish this?

Thanks again for your help!
~Gina
Quote Reply
The problem with the passwords is probably a bug in the change password mod, then. Were the problems with users who had changed their passwords?

Regarding the benchmark -- it just tells you how long it took from the time the script started until the time it finished. Nothing about how to make it faster. You could try taking out some features and seeing if it makes things faster.

Regarding your userid field -- add a hidden field to your html_record_form subroutine:

<input type="hidden" name="Userid" value="$rec{'Userid">

You can stick it just about anywhere in the subroutine, even outside of the table. I usually put my hidden fields at the beginning.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Let me clarify..It was late..lol

You go to create a login then hit submit and it says "account created" You then go to log on and it says "invalid account/password" I went to look at the pass file here is a copy of it:

Gina:golfer1:1:1:1:1:0:agvitale@ivillage.comLuvnmothern:111395:1:1:1:1:0:mnm2@busprod.com
Bob:Bob:1:1:1:1:0:agmvitale@bytheshore.com
Luvnmothern:111395:1:1:1:1:0:mnm2@busprod.com

The first "luvnmothern" was the one she created and was lost. The second is when I asked her to retry it. This happened 3 seperate times.

As for the Userid. How I handled this was in my html_record_form I have this statement:

if (($per_admin)) { print qq|
<TR><TD ALIGN="Right" VALIGN="TOP"><$font_req>Userid:</FONT></TD>
<TD VALIGN="TOP"> <INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="Userid" VALUE="$rec{'Userid'}" SIZE="16" MAXLENGTH="16"></TD></TR>
|;}

It works well only I can view the Userid field and the user cant modify it. But as I stated when the user goes to Modify his record they get an error "Userid can not be left blank" Can I handle this differently? Maybe a better ? is when adding a record if the person adding it puts something different in the userid field will it overwrite it with there Userid from there login?

Thanks again for some great help!
~Gina

[This message has been edited by agvitale (edited May 24, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Well I am not using it yet, wanted to make sure it all worked first. I can try to add a few more entries to see what happens and let you know.

Ok, went and added about 10 more no problems.. if it happens again I will let you know.

[This message has been edited by agvitale (edited May 25, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I'm still not sure why you're having the password problem. I'll have to sleep on it.

Your Userid thing is just about right, but you need to add something.

Right after the code you posted here, add

else {
print qq|<input type="hidden" NAME="Userid" VALUE="$rec{'Userid'}">|;
}

Then you won't have the problem with the "Userid can't be blank" message.

They can't overwrite it, though. There's code in the script that will set it to the current user's id at the time of modification, unless the user has admin permission.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
THANK YOU! I will wait patiently for your reply to the password issue. I will change the Userid too. At least I know they cant change it but I would rather it not be there all together! Thanks again...

~Gina
Quote Reply
Are you still having problems with the password file, when adding new users? I seem to recall having a similar problem once when the file was new. It had to do with the character (which you can't see) that makes the new line. Once things got going, though, it was all right.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Sounds like a plan. Smile

Also, try deleting a few of the users and then adding some more, just to be sure there's no problem there.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Deleted some through admin, no problem. But heres one for you I reuploaded the pass file with just my two admins to start fresh...Bingo the next record (#3) did the same thing and #3 was the first one the time before..very strange.

I am also still concerned about the speed. Not sure if its the server I have it on (its new too) or the script. The benchmarking shows like 10 seconds, but it is longer then that. So I think maybe its a server/internet connection/script slowness combo. lol

~Gina

Quote Reply
Well, you confirmed my suspicions about the password file. If you upload the new file again, first put an extra linefeed at the end of the last line. That should do it for you.

10 second is really pretty long. How many records do you have? What's the size of your .db file?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
2 records if that. I am not using the db yet. I am in the config/testing stage. And it runs really slow. But like I said I am not sure where the problem is. Its weird because sometimes it flies and sometimes its SUPER slow I need to play with it a little more because I am getting the impression its the task I am doing that effects the speed, like one thing is slower then another. Will play with it a little more and let you know ok...

~Gina