Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

New User needs HELP!

Quote Reply
New User needs HELP!
Hello! I've copied the readme.txt and really have no clue on where to start. I've downloaded and extacted the progam to my desktop. Is there a link or a previous post that will walk me thru installation and set up? What I'm trying to do is set up a Mini-Nubian goat pedigree database. Like the one that is at www.cybergoat.com/NubianTalk/index.html

I'm a new webmaster for a goat club and would like to have a pedigree database available to our members. If I understand the readme.txt file I need to buy a Perl program. I've never heard of Perl before. Are their several brands or versions of that program. Is there a free download for one? I found a DZSoft Perl Editor for $49. I'm not sure if that is the only one out there. I know how to work with FrontPage and Window programs... but have never done anything like this before. I downloaded the trial version of this Perl program and then clicked on db.cgi and a bunch of stuff came up that I dont' know what to do with. I was hoping to find a windows friendly program could come up that I could set the fields I want and the colors and be up and running...

Any help would be appreciated! Please email me directly as I'm anxious to get started!

Becky - Becky@desert-star-ranch.com

Thanks!!!
Quote Reply
Re: [Desert Star] New User needs HELP! In reply to
Quote:
Is there a link or a previous post that will walk me thru installation and set up?

Yep. :-) Start here -- http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/tutorial1.html -- which will give you an overview of what you need. The pages that follow will guide you through setting up your own database. The tutorial was based on what people most asked about installing the script. I've tried to lay it out so that anyone can follow the directions. If you have any problems understanding it, though, don't hesitate to ask. Input from readers will continue to help me to fine-tune the tutorial.

Perl should be on your system, if you have a web host. Most of them do these days. That should not be an issue. The one thing you have to have is a text editor. Don't use Word or any other word processor. It's best to use something like Programmer's File Editor or Edit Plus. Links to those programs are on the first page of the tutorial I posted above.

Quote:

I was hoping to find a windows friendly program could come up that I could set the fields I want and the colors and be up and running...

It's possible that you might be able to find something like that, but I don't know where. This is really the best database program that is available for running on websites, unless you want to get into MySQL, which is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Let me assure you that, when I first came across DBMan, I knew nothing at all about Perl. (I thought it was a misspelling and they meant "Pearl" :-)) This program taught me about all sorts of things.

Once you get it installed, if you need help with the personalization, just holler.

JPD
----------------------------------------------------
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
How to ask questions the smart way.
Quote Reply
Re: [JPDeni] New User needs HELP! In reply to
thank you very mcuh! I'll go to that link and let you know how it works out!!