Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

New to PERL, help please with cfg coding

Quote Reply
New to PERL, help please with cfg coding
I'm trying to run DBMan with no changes to the existing data or forms, just pointing to my own directories. When I see that the existing stuff works, then I'll go back and make the changes I need.

In the cfg file, when I come across the statement:

# Full path and file name of the counter file.
$db_id_file_name = $db_script_path . "/default.count";

do I need to expand "/default.count" to include the whole path? (Same for all the other file statements?)

And does the '"$db_script_path".' part stay in? There are several statements with $db_script_path in them. Should the statements be just $db_name="path/file_name"?

The reason I ask is that when I try to do anything I get an "error loading required libraries" message with a syntax error on the internal variables. I put in the full path names but something's not working obviously.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: [smithT] New to PERL, help please with cfg coding In reply to
Hi,

No you can leave all that code.

>>$db_script_path . "/default.count";<<

What that means is that it is taking the value of $db_script_path and appending /default.count onto the end so it is automatic.

Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] New to PERL, help please with cfg coding In reply to
Okay, thanks. I've changed it and it's still not working, but I think I might have to talk with the people who run the server now. The PATH_TRANSLATED that's showing up on my debug screen doesn't match the path name they gave me.
Quote Reply
It's still not working right In reply to
I verified the path address and it's correct. So why can't DBMan find my files? I took out all the extraneous info and just left the file names aas they are.

It must be something really simple, but I can't figure it out.
Quote Reply
Re: [smithT] It's still not working right In reply to
Hi,

You don't need to know any paths. Your best bet would be to upload a new cfg file. You only need to enter the URL to your dbman directory:

# URL of the directory dbman resides in. No Trailing Slash Please.
$db_dir_url = "http://penguin/alex/dbman";
Quote Reply
Maybe this error message will explain the problem In reply to
This is what I get

Error Message : Error loading required libraries.
Check that they exist, permissions are set correctly and that they compile.
Reason: syntax error at default.cfg line 159, near "foreach "

I notice that there's a 1; on the very last line of the cfg file. Is this correct? Also, I didn't do anything to the variables on line 159 where the "foreach" command is, should I have?.

Sorry to be so dense, but as I said, I'm new to this. I'd like to get past this error and see at least 1 screen come up so I can move on to other errors.Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [smithT] Maybe this error message will explain the problem In reply to
Yes the 1; is ok.

The syntax error may mean you've accidentally deleted a " or ; on one of the lines.

Could you attach your cfg file to a post so I/someone can take a look?
Quote Reply
My cfg file In reply to
I hope this attachment works.

Thanks for the assistance.
Quote Reply
Re: [smithT] My cfg file In reply to
I think I see the problem.....

>>

$auth_logoff = "http://server.allfour.com/cgi-bin/index.html"

<<

You are missing a ;
Quote Reply