Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Problem with © mark

Quote Reply
Problem with © mark
Ok heres my problem.
Tried to install dbman, all went smoothely, and everything seemed to work, with one exception. When there are more than one page of hits, and i try to check the next page, there is an error: no matching records, and a ©(copyright) sign on one of the fields (as a search word, which of course prevents the engine to give any matching results).
I have no idea how that © mark appears in the links given in "Pages:".
All other fields are fine, also, when using automatic database generator all is fine. And also in html.pl all seems to be matching the fields defined in .cfg file. You can check it out:
http://www.agenda21.ee/cgi/dbman/db.cgi?db=library&uid=default

If someone could please help me with this, i'd reall appreciate it.

Quote Reply
Re: Problem with © mark In reply to
When viewing the source of your search page it shows:

<TR><TD ALIGN="Right" VALIGN="TOP"><Font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" Size=2 Color=#003399>Published in:</FONT></TD>
<TD VALIGN="TOP"> <INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="Published" VALUE="©" SIZE="20" MAXLENGTH="255"></TD></TR>

Notice the copyright is within the value of that field?
Do you have a runaway copyright sign somewhere in your html_record_form ?

If you are inserting a copyright somewhere within your fields, you would need to use:

\&copy;

but I didn't see it anywhere ??

Quote Reply
I am well aware of the fact that this sign appears in the source as a value, but as its a source generated by the script, i didnt put it there. Also, i havent put any © sign anywhere in script, i also run a search through all the db files (script, html.db, .cfg etc), there isnt any ©
mark anywhere in these files.
Thats why i wonder why it is generated in the script.

Quote Reply
This is strange indeed. I'm wondering if it could have been entered into the database as a field.

How are you getting the results for the published field? Are they chosen from a dropdown list or are they typed in directly?

I did notice on the page that the code for this field has:

<TR><TD ALIGN="Right" VALIGN="TOP"><Font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" Size=2 Color=#003399>Published in:</FONT></TD>
<TD> <Font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" Size=2><B>Stockholm</B><B></B></Font></TD></TR>

Notice the two <B></B> tags ? Is there something that is set to be inserted between the second set of bold tags?

In your .cfg file you may want to set $db_bold = 0;
to turn off bold. This does seem to cause problems for some .

I'm just drawing at straws here.

Also try changing: Color=#003399 to Color="#003399" and see if that helps with your coding.

It might help if you post a url to copies of your .cfg and html.pl file saved as text files so we can check them out.

Quote Reply
Values for published field are typed in directly.
That empty bold tag was strange indeed, this is prolly connected to my problem, dunno how it appears though.
Anyway, i put my html.pl and library.cfg file in:
http://www.agenda21.ee/db.zip
Im really glad if you could check it out

Quote Reply
Hehe, found out what the bug was, the most stupid thing :P
The name of the input field following the field "Published" was "copy" (shouldve been "Copy").
As the html code for the mark © is & + copy + semicolon, the script somehow translated the field name as © mark, and inserted it to the "Published" field.
Anyways, thanks LoisC for trying to help me out.

Quote Reply
Ando:

I'm soooo glad you got it figured out Smile
Sometimes it hard t figure out small errors that create such big problems.

Good luck with your database.