Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Problems getting out of the Main Menu

Quote Reply
Problems getting out of the Main Menu
I am having problems getting out of the Main Menu. I allow a default user so if I enter this: http://localhost/...ault&uid=default I get the Main Menu with all the default permissions I had set in the config file. If I enter anything else, such as uid=admin or even uid= then I just get the Main Menu with Home and Log Off as the only options. I cannot even use the signup_form=1 parameter or anything else. I have tried just about every permutation in the config file that I can think of but nothing works. I am permanently stuck on the Main Menu.

I am running dbman under ActivePerl (latest version), Xitami server and windows2000.

I dont get it as I have never had these problems before under windows 98 and earlier versions of cpan perl.

HELP HELP HELP.
Quote Reply
Re: [pewkatchoo] Problems getting out of the Main Menu In reply to
Can you make a txt copy of your .cfg file and provide a url to view it. Or provide the portion of your .cfg file which contains you permission settings.

In order to use uid= you would first have to login to the database.

There is an excellent tutorial on JPDeni's site which contains a section on setting permissions also. Starting from http://jpdeni.com/dbman/

It does sound like there is a problem with how you setup permissions for viewing the database. But viewing your .cfg file would be needed to help see what you have set.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Problems getting out of the Main Menu In reply to
FrownHi Lois

First I cannot post the cfg file because I am within an intranet. But it is no big thing this as even when I use the standard set-up I don't get anywhere. The only options that I get are Home and Log-off. Great, but I havent even logged in yet.

Nothing I do can get me to the Login page! I have used dbman a lot in the past so I am not a skinny user! I have even installed some of the more complex mods and completely rewritten the .pl file succesfully in the past. Something has changed, either in dbman or in the current perl! Or perhaps it is that heap of dogpoo windows nt/2000.

When I try certain parameters, I also get quite a lot of internal error messages that are totally useless and error on line 43 messages which dont make sense as there are no errors on line 43.
Quote Reply
Re: [pewkatchoo] Problems getting out of the Main Menu In reply to
I've never used the script on a windows server, but the errors messages must mean there are things which need to be fixed.

First of all try moving the line:

$db_debug = 1;

in your .cfg file to above the section # File and URL's this way it will catch errors within the .cfg file.

Also the line 43 may be cause it's having problems locating your matching db file. It doesn't necessarily mean there is a syntax error on that page.

Have you tried using the snippet of code in the FAQ under troubleshooting called "Debugging - How To Obtain Useful Error Messages". This has saved me many hours of tracking down errors.

Do you have in your .cfg file:
$auth_no_authentication = 0;

It's so hard to guess without being able to see your files what could be wrong.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Problems getting out of the Main Menu In reply to
Hope I can help.

I used DB Man about two years and I am just starting to use it again for a new project. I believe I had the same problem then that you are experiencing now and JP Deni gave me the solution.

I also had the same problem when I began this new install. I believe I have a similar setup Xitami and Windows 2000.

Make sure you have the perl directory defined on the first line of your db.cgi ...

Code:
#!c:\perl\bin\perl

Just adding the Path to your environment variables might preclude you from having to do this.

It was also recommended that I rename my db.pl to db.cgi. This was a solution when I used Windows NT but it doesn't seem to matter now with Windows 2000.

The real problem is in the auth.pl file ...

In the "sub auth_check_password", look for ...

Code:
my ($server_auth) = $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} || $ENV{ ...etc
... and either delete it or comment it out ... I was told you probably won't need to have it anyway ...

Further down in the script, in the "sub auth_check_permissions" ... change ...

Code:
# Otherwise, check to see if we have been passed in a user id to
# get permissions for or we have one from server authentication.
if ($ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} | | $ENV{'AUTH_USER'}) {
$username = $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} | | $ENV{'AUTH_USER'};
}
else {
($userid =~ /^([A-Za-z0-9]+)\.\d+$/) ? ($username = $1) : return (0,0,0,0,0);
}

to ...

Code:
# Otherwise, check to see if we have been passed in a user id to
# get permissions for or we have one from server authentication.
($userid =~ /^([A-Za-z0-9]+)\.\d+$/) ? ($username = $1) : return (0,0,0,0,0);

Basically, I just commented out everything around this line.

This seems to be a Xitami thing and this should fix it. In my previous project I never changed this back when I sent it to my UNIX box and it all seemed to still work fine.

I seem to have messed up this response using this new forum markup but I hope it comes out okay.