Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Problems with screens - New installation

Quote Reply
Problems with screens - New installation
I have looked throught the many answers on this board, and have now got the script to load. I am able to bring up the View, Delete & Modify screens, but when selecting a record from the default db nothing happens. The browser returns the "unable to reach site" message. On Add, List All, Log Off, I get the same message. If I stop the browser during selection of Add, I am then shown a small screen which simply shows the "Add a New Record" header.
I have put ASCII versions of the following files at http://www.contract-for-differences.com/testfiles

db.cgi ; default.cfg ; auth.pl ; html.pl

Help would be appreciated. This is the first time I have attempted to work with such a programme.

Thanks

------------------
David Olley
david@afil.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with screens - New installation In reply to
This is a real puzzler. The only things that come up are the search forms -- View, Modify and Delete.

It seems that whenever the db.cgi script has to "do" anything, it gets bogged down. With the search screens that come up, the only thing the db.cgi script does is to send the control of the script over to html.pl, which creates the search form. But when you add a record, db.cgi runs a subroutine -- sub get_defaults. And that is after the header text that you saw. And the other functions require the db.cgi script to do a search.

Could it possibly be that you may have uploaded default.count or default.db in binary mode? Those files must also be uploaded in ASCII mode. That's the only thing I can think of.

I just thought of a little test. In the default.cfg file, set

$db_key_track = 0;

and then try to access the Add form. If the form comes up then, try uploading the default.count file again. You may have to even delete it first and then upload it. Make sure that your permissions are set to 666.

If the Add form doesn't come up when $db_key_track is 0, then I'm really stumped.

Then again, there seem to have been gremlins running around lately. Maybe you just came across one. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I didn't find any of the files in the directory you mentioned. I will need to look at them before I'll know what to tell you.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Sorry Deni. I really didn't think you would get to it so fast. I have now placed the files at the URL: http://www.contract-for-differences.com/testfiles/

default.cfg
db.cgi
html.pl
auth.pl

Since sending the posting I have been trying many different things, but have still not got any further.

DBMan resides at http://www.contract-for-differences.com/cgi-bin/db.cgi
A look at this will tell you what is happening, no doubt. Auth is set to 0.

I have looked at the various replies over the past year and cannot see what I am doing wrong. No doubt my inexperience is at fault, but I am determined to learn how to do this stuff. Many thanks for your dedicationa and generosity with your time and intellect.

------------------
David Olley
david@afil.co.uk
Quote Reply
Well thanks for looking, JP. I changed the parameter as suggested and the Add form appeared. Nothing else worked, however.
I had been very particular about uploading files in ASCII mode, despite Cute FTP defaulting to Auto.
Maybe someone else has come across this problem (though if you don't know about it, I would be surprised).
You mention gremlins. Would this be corrupted files or server problems. As you will have seen, the server is an Apache UNIX machine. It did take me a week of phone calls to the ISP to get server permissions correctly set so that I could even work with cgi files! They may still have something wrong there, so I shall treat them to some more ear bashing.

If anyone has the correctly configured basic file set, I would be really happy to have them emailed to me.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Having the add form appear when $db_key_track=0 means that, again, the db.cgi script didn't have to access any external files. It looks like there is a problem with your default.count file and default.db file.

It could possibly be a server problem, but I would first upload the .count and .db files again. Probably the .pass file, too, especially if you were having trouble logging in with the default passwords.

Within the past week there have been three people who had really strange problems. Even I had a strange problem when I started a new database. With every one, once they (and I) uploaded the files again, everything was okay. It's a mystery to me. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Thanks for the last comments JP. I have tried uploading those files from scratch, with no further success with the DB. Maybe I will start over from scratch on the whole thing.
I took a break from this to install the UBB files. What a difference. UBB was fully operational with no trouble! Of course, my CGI-BIN directory is now quite loaded. All I have to do now is pay for the full version.

Thanks

------------------
David Olley
david@afil.co.uk
Quote Reply
I'm glad that you were able to install another script. That tells us that your server is working okay.

Your configuration of DBMan is correct, or nothing would work. Probably your best bet is to install everything again, like you said.

------------------
JPD