Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Revised password lookup mod

Quote Reply
Revised password lookup mod
It seems there were some problems with my old modification for password lookup. I have just uploaded a new version, which I wrote as I made the modification to the DBMan script. I tested it every step of the way, so it should work.

A couple of things I added:
Error checking when an admin adds or changes a user's name or email address.
"Debug mode" for testing out the script -- if you have $db_debug set to 1, the email is not sent, but prints at the bottom of the screen.

I hope this works for you. You can pick up the text version at
http://www.drizzle.com/~hall/dbmod/lookup.txt

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Re: Revised password lookup mod In reply to
ROTFL!!!!

Thank you. You made my day. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hello JPD,

In this special Woman's International Day occasion (I think in the past we got the Woman's International Year, if they continue like this we will celebrate in the next future the Woman's International Minute... Wink), you desserve special thanks for your kindness support and patience with all of us and for your unavoidable mods too, of course !

I wish you enough time for a few, sorry, a lot more cups of Earl Grey (I hope this tea producer will recognize you as one of the main world wide promoter for its product by shipping you sufficient specimen boxes so you could enjoy many Earl Grey perfumed warm baths with no sugar nor milk) !

Kindly,
Germain
Quote Reply
Hi,

JPDeni, You RULE!

There is only problem, the link you gave is down. ( http://www.drizzle.com/~hall/dbmod/lookup.txt ). Besides that, you still RULE!

------------------
JFrost

Quote Reply
Give it another try. Of course, it's on my server, so maybe that's why it comes up so fast for me.

Smile Thanks for the compliment!!

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
For some weird reason, I'm still having the same problem with my lookup as before. I got it to send the email once on my offline version but 2 seconds later, I tried it again just to be sure and it didn't work. I don't understand why it would do that - work once and not again. It didn't even work at all on my online version. All that happens when I put in an email address is it goes back to the main screen. Even if I enter an invalid email address, it goes to the main login screen without giving an error message. This is one wierd problem... if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

If you would like to see for yourself what I'm talking about (it does sound kindof confusing), you can see it at extreme.nas.net/cgi-bin/db/db.cgi?db=reviews

Thanks!!

------------------
Jason
Extreme mtb
extreme.nas.net

[This message has been edited by jdulberg (edited March 08, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I don't know what to tell you, Jason. It worked for me on your site. I tried having it send me my password before I signed up for one and it said it didn't have the email address in the file. So I signed up for an account and had it send me the emails four times in a row.

This is really a mystery.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
hey hey hey! did somebody say online version? Could this possibly mean that you got some kind of system setup on your home computer that you can edit your hearts out without accessing the internet ? If so could somebody tell me what they're using (I'll do the rest -- ehh, I'm a MAC user).

By the way, EVERYBODY's right again. YOU'RE JUST GREAT JP !!!!
Quote Reply
 Smile Thanks jdunes. That's what my hubby keeps teling me! Smile

I'm sure there is server software you can get for the Mac, but I don't know what it is. I have a PC and I'm using Xitami (which I found was very easy to configure).

With any luck, another Mac user will have some info they can post here.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Now that is just totally strange. I don't understand why it won't work for me while it works perfectly for you. I entered your email address and the same error was occurring. Well, I guess if it worked for you, I shouldn't worry about it.

One thing that I noticed was in the .pass file, there is a ":" right after the email address. Would that have anything to do with it?

------------------
Jason
Extreme mtb
http://extreme.nas.net
Quote Reply
It might. That's one of the things I fixed in my new mod. Edit your password file to get rid of the extra ":" and see what happens.

And then check to make sure that you have all of the new mod features.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I fixed the problem in the db.cgi and deleted the ":" in the .pass file but I'm still running into the same problem. I guess that if it worked for you multiple times, its working - just not for me for some strange reason.

Once again, thanks for your help!

------------------
Jason
Extreme mtb
http://extreme.nas.net
Quote Reply
It sure doesn't make any sense. The only time it did what you talk about -- taking me back to the login screen -- was when I clicked the "Cancel" button.

'Tis a real mystery.

------------------
JPD