Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Scripts want to "download" instead of execute

Quote Reply
Scripts want to "download" instead of execute
Hello. I have successfully implemented and modified DBman on my Win95 system running OMNIhttp. I recently uploaded all the files to a "real" server (in ASCII mode) into a cgi-bin directory created for me to run my personal scripts. When called, instead of executing, my browser (IE 4) opens the file download box. If I call the scripts while passing a variable (/cgi-bin/db.pl?db=sales) the db.pl script is diplayed in the browser window as a regular text file. I get no server errors whatsoever (which is actually frustrating). It's a UNIX server and I have set my path to perl per the administrators' instructions. Perl 5.03 MAY not be installed on the server, but I'm not certain on this. HELP! Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Scripts want to "download" instead of execute In reply to
Are you certain your server admin has set the directory to be executable as a cgi-bin? That's usually the problem when things like this come up, especially on a Unix system. (Win95/98 and NT have their own unique problems. Smile )

Also, often Unix requires scripts to be named .cgi instead of .pl. You might try changing the name of the script to db.cgi.

------------------
JPD