Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Security in DBMan directory

Quote Reply
Security in DBMan directory
I realized that someone asked about how to protect their DBMan directory that was visible from a web browser. There must have been other questions in the post, too, that I focused on, because I don't remember answering it. Then again, I don't seem to be able find the post now. Did I dream it?

Anyway, if anyone is concerned about security of their DBMan directory, and the file listing is available from a browser, the only thing I know to do is add an index.html file to the directory. It doesn't matter too much what's on the page, as long as it's named index.html (or default.html, if that's what your provider uses as the default page for a directory -- most accept either). I would probably copy the index.html file from the auth directory and put it into the DBMan directory.

On a side note, since folks have been passing out some nice compliments recently -- I just purchased (for some pretty big bucks) a new html editor which includes database support. (There are some more complicated things that really need a relational database and I can't figure out how to make DBMan do it.) The producers of this other program have a forum which, on the surface, is like this one. But I have yet to see any questions really answered there. When the support people show up, it's usually to say "your answer is somewhere on the site" -- which it isn't. The other thing they do is suggest the user call for support at 65 bucks a whack.

I knew I liked DBMan for it's functionality and the fact that it can be modified to fit a whole lot of different needs. But I don't think I fully appreciated the community that has been built around this forum until I saw what happens (or doesn't happen!) elsewhere.

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
Re: Security in DBMan directory In reply to
Here , Here! JP is right! I've used to be a regular going through the scripts at CGI Reasource cosponsored by Matt Wright trying to find a database that 1.) works 2.) is cheap 3.) is adaptable to my needs. DBMAN WAS THE ONLY SCRIPT THAT FIT THESE 3 CONDITIONS!!!! On top of all that we have this wonderful forum. With wonderful people like JPDeni, Alex, Katana Man and others who actually help you.! (sorry if I missed somebody)

All I can say is that this place is JUST F_CKING AMAZING ! ! ! ! ! ! !

thank you thank you thank you (jeez I can't say thank yo enough for everything)!!!!!!!!

------------------
Thanks for everything !
Quote Reply
Amen to that!!!! I came here with a question
about not displaying blank fields, and it was already answered!!! This is the absolute
best.
PB:-)
Quote Reply

Quote:
Anyway, if anyone is concerned about security of their DBMan directory, and the file listing is available from a browser, the only thing I know to do is add an index.html file to the directory. It doesn't matter too much what's on the page, as long as it's named index.html

To protect your auth directory, you can put:

<Limit GET PUT POST>
deny from all
</Limit>

in a .htaccess file in the auth directory (assuming you are using Apache). This will stop anyone from trying to guess/find a session id.

As for the community, I can't agree more!

Cheers,

Alex