Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Setting up DBman

Quote Reply
Setting up DBman
I completed setting up DBMan to database about 1500 links to web pages on my site. The 1500 links will be spread out over 15 categories. I'm not a programmer but I understand pretty will how these things work and need a little help. Here's what I want to do.

1. When I add links, I need the ability to add the link to multiple categories. Is there a mod that does this?

2. How do I create lists of links on my web pages? I want to be able to create lists of links from each category. Using tables, they will look like the diagram below.
----------------------------------------------
| Category 1 | Category 2 | Category 3 |
|--------------|------------- |--------------|
| *link1_____| *link 1_____| *link 1_____|
| *link2_____| *link 2_____| *link 2_____|
| *link3_____| *link 3_____| *link 3_____|
| *link4_____| *link 4_____| *link 4_____|
----------------------------------------------

Is there an SSI tag other tag I can place on my pages that will pull the info from the db?

Thanks for your help.

Mitch
mitch@fabulousfoods.com
Quote Reply
Re: Setting up DBman In reply to
The answer to question 1 would be to use the Multiple Select MOD available in the resource center, and also in the FAQ noted below under "Fields".

For question 2 there are also various threads regarding working with categories.

I would suggest using the short/long mod and then just listing the category and then within the short display it could list the actual links. You can have the database blend into your site, rather than using SSI.

If you want to use SSI, there are various thread references under the section "Files / Records".

Hope this helps.

P.S. Now that you have your database installed, please ask questions regarding customization within that forum.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/