Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Short and long display

Quote Reply
Short and long display
Hi, First, I have to say that your forum is a great service and I am enjoying it very much and learning a lot of new things.. keep up the good work...
Now...I have read on your forum other postings related to this issue including http://www.drizzle.com/~hall/dbmod/short.html, which is great however, as I understand it, you can have only one line per record which when you click on takes you to the more detailed listing

I am trying to set up a matchmaker site where the database is very detailed & consists of 45 fields per record - what I would like to achieve(that's if it is all possible) to have a short display say of approx 4-5 fields per record.. which would give the essential information about a person for a viewer to decide whether he/she would like to know more about that person or skip to the next one - In my case a one line only would not be enough of information to decide to explore the record further or not .. Is there a way, I can do this, i.e. have a short form of 3-4 fields per record, when you click on a field there, it takes you to the 45 field record for that person...
If that can be done.. would you be able to give me the code.. I sure hope it would.. thank you very much for all your help
Quote Reply
Re: Short and long display In reply to
Yes there is a way.

Modify this line to get the desired results:

<a href="$db_script_link_url&ww=on&$db_key=$rec{$db_key}&view_records=1">$rec{'field name'}"</a><BR>

Just add more fields to that line like this:

<a href="$db_script_link_url&ww=on&$db_key=$rec{$db_key}&view_records=1">$rec{'field name'}"</a> - $rec{'Age'} - $rec{'Gender'} - $rec{'Location'}<BR>
Quote Reply
Thanks a lot.. this seems to work fine
Quote Reply
Hi Katana Man,
I read your posting but am a complete beginner... can you pls explain where this code should be? Somewhere in the html.pl file? or in the cgi file itself...

Thanks
Quote Reply
chrisjb,

If you have installed the mod found at http://www.drizzle.com/~hall/dbmod/short.html , then you will end up with this line in the html.pl under sub html_record {

<a href="$db_script_link_url&ww=on&$db_key=$rec{$db_key}&view_records=1">$rec{'field name'}"</a><BR>

This is the key line that shows the short displays with links to the full display. You can add more things to it by modifying it into something like this:

<a href="$db_script_link_url&ww=on&$db_key=$rec{$db_key}&view_records=1">$rec{'field name'}"</a> - $rec{'Age'} - $rec{'Gender'} - $rec{'Location'}<BR>
Quote Reply
Thanks again Katana Man, I managed to get it to work...
I would now like to add to the search results a number.. i.e. if there are 5 matches, each result would be
1) record one result
2) record two result
etc, etc

I'm sure its a small snippet of code... any ideas??

Quote Reply
In html_view_success, there's a section that starts with

for (0 .. $numhits - 1) {

If you want to number your results, add a couple of lines as follows:

$i = 0;
for (0 .. $numhits - 1) {
++$i;

Then, in your short display, use the $i variable to print out the number of the record (this would be in the subroutine for your short display):

$i) [the rest of your display]

I haven't tried it, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

------------------
JPD