Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Still having problems with install config

Quote Reply
Still having problems with install config
I am still getting problems with the setup. This is what I have done. I put a "Hello World" cgi script in the same directory to test the location of perl. That being

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

The Hello cgi works fine.

Started with a fresh extraction of all files from dbman. Changed two the path in default.cfg to:

$db_dir_url = "http://www.apeparts.net/cgi-bin/dbman";

Changed the scrip path in db.cgi from "." to:

$db_script_path = "/www/virtuals/www.apeparts.net/cgi-bin/dbman";

Checked the location of perl in the db.cgi

Copied all files as ASCII of to:

http://www.apeparts.net/cgi-bin/dbman

Checked the rights to match those in the Readme file.

I am still getting the following error

Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

I just don't know why it isn't working. The "Hello" cgi works fine. I just don't see why this doesn't work. I know that it is probably so obvious it is hard to see.

Thanks
Gary Kalus

[This message has been edited by Gary Kalus (edited March 02, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Still having problems with install config In reply to
The following:

/www/virtuals/www.apeparts.net/cgi-bin/dbman

does not look right for a path. Maybe it is, but it looks wrong to me. I've never seen a directory name with "dots" in it. But then I could be wrong.

Did you try leaving the default --

$db_script_path = ".";

If you're sure your path is correct and you have tried the default script path -- and you're still having problems, I'm afraid I can't help. You have just seen the full extent of my knowledge on this. Smile

------------------
JPD

All my advice is offered on the basis of kindness-ware. If I've helped you to solve a problem, go out of your way to be kind to someone today.

Quote Reply
Hi Gary,

Try:

/usr/local/bin/perl -v

to make sure the perl version you are calling from the web is actually perl 5.

Then try:

./db.cgi

to see what happens. You should get a CGI Error from DBMan about it must being called from the web.

Still no luck, take a look in the server error logs and see what it says.

Let me know what happens,

Alex
Quote Reply
I got the path from PWD.

What I am really interested in now is if there is some way to actually display the version of perl the cgi's are associated with. When I type perl -v I get ver. 5.005 but I am thinking that there might be some parts of old versions left behind. I have also tried to run this with debug on just doesn't work.

Thanks,
GSK
Quote Reply
Wish I could help you, but I've exhausted my knowledge on this subject. With any luck someone with more knowledge will be able to answer.

------------------
JPD

All my advice is offered on the basis of kindness-ware. If I've helped you to solve a problem, go out of your way to be kind to someone today.

Quote Reply
My relative path is very similar with a www. in it. (It was quite surprising to me at first, but it does work fine.)

Are you on a Unix Server? Here is what I would do to get the troubleshooting underway.

Change everything to 777 (including the auth directory)

in db.cgi, set:
$db_script_path = ".";

in default.cfg:
$db_auto_generate = 1;
$db_benchmark = 0;
$db_debug = 0;

Even though this is your correct path,
/www/virtuals/www.apeparts.net/cgi-bin/dbman
let's not use it for troubleshooting purposes.

Make sure everything was uploaded in ascii mode.

My ICQ# is 623454, if you see me online, you can give me your ftp info, and I can have a look for you, if you wish.
Quote Reply
I was using a telnet session to launch db.cgi and this is what I got.

ns2: {2} /usr/local/bin/perl db.cgi
Can't locate Time/Local.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.005/i3
86-freebsd /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.005 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-
freebsd /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at db.cgi line 1071.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at db.cgi line 1071

Now here is what I get when I launch hello.cgi:

ns2: {4} /usr/local/bin/perl hello.cgi
Content-type:text/html

<html><head><title>Test Page</title></head>
<body>
<h2>Hello, world!</h2>
</body></html>

I have to admit that this is above my capabilities and knowledge but it looks like there is something missing or wrong with the way Perl was installed or setup? I am having the ISP look into it to confirm this and will let you know what comes up.

It was launching this from the telnet session that helped.

Thanks for all the advice and direction on what to try. I will let you know how things turn out.

Later,
GSK
Quote Reply
Not sure how you made out, but the problem is you don't have the Time::Local module installed. It's a common module and is meant to be standard with perl. Ask your ISP to put it in..

Cheers,

Alex