Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Try again - no answers?

Quote Reply
Try again - no answers?
Hmm, either I've worn out the number of questions I am allowed, or this is a difficult question. I'll try again OK?

In my restaurant database, I have a dropdown search by neighborhood or cuisine. There's also the default "Keyword Search" that came with DBMAN allowing users to put in any word and match it to the entire database.

If I want to create a specific Search by Restaurant Name field, can I just copy the <Input Form> tag and script for the Keyword Search?

How can I get it to always Match ANY (i.e. if someone's looking for Frank's and only enter Frank it'll come up).

If it helps here's the URL:

www.bestweb.net/~cyborgny/tob/cgi-bin/dbman/main.html

Thanks in advance!

------------------
Catalyst for the new millenium
Quote Reply
Re: Try again - no answers? In reply to
The keyword search sets the "Match Any" within the script. It is required. So, no, you don't have to forego the keyword search if you have "Match Any" by default.

Does that help?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
There are two reasons you haven't gotten answers to your question. One is because, at least for me, your question is unclear. The other is that I have been away from home for a week and had minimal web access.

I tried your URL and entered "Frank" as a keyword. There aren't any records that match "Frank." It helps if you give an example that really works.

If you want it to always "Match Any," insteac of the

<INPUT TYPE="CHECKBOX" NAME="ma" VALUE="yes"> Match Any

line in your html file, use

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="ma" VALUE="yes">

I still don't know what you want to do with the keyword search.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
JPDeni - Welcome Back! I know I speak for many when I say your absence was felt!

Sorry to be have been so vague:

<<If you want it to always "Match Any," insteac of the

<INPUT TYPE="CHECKBOX" NAME="ma" VALUE="yes"> Match Any

line in your html file, use

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="ma" VALUE="yes">

I still don't know what you want to do with the keyword search.>>

Well, I still want the Keyword Search to be usable for people who want to look up a street or name or subway line or other variable info -- so they would still have to click Match Any (I imagine).

In addition I want the Search By Restaurant Name to always match any and all records found (but only of the 'Name' field. (i.e. if searching for Armando's and someone only enters Armando <Enter> they'll get the correct record.

Now, if I put in the <INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="ma" VALUE="yes"> does that mean I'll have to forego the Keyword Search?

Thanks again.