Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

User Id & Password Administration

Quote Reply
User Id & Password Administration
How do I go about removing the admin/admin, user/user, etc. default user id/passwords that are included in the demo?

How do I add my own user id/passwords after deleting the defaults?

Any help is appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: User Id & Password Administration In reply to
Add your own userid and password before you delete the defaults!!

Log in as admin/admin. Click the "Admin" link. Create a new userid and password and click all the boxes. Log off.

Log in with your new userid and password. Click the "Admin" link. Select the usernames you want to delete from the dropdown list (one at a time) and click the "delete" button.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
There is a subfolder called "auth" how should I chmod it? Does it affect the user authentication in any way?
Quote Reply
Yes, the auth directory is very important. When you start out, the only thing that's in there is an index.html file. Leave that there.

It needs to be chmoded to 777.

A little explanation while I'm here. When a user logs on, the auth.pl file looks in the password file to see if the username is there and if the password matches. It then creates a little file in the auth directory, the name of which is "Username.AVeryLargeNumber." Then, each time the user does anything, that filename is passed back to the script. It looks to see if there is a file by that name in the auth directory. If there is, it lets the user do what he has permissions to do. If not, it sends the user back to the login screen.

In order for the user authentication to work, you must chmod the auth directory to 777.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Thanks again for your help. Your directions worked out perfectly.