Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Using DBMan with Large Databases?

Quote Reply
Using DBMan with Large Databases?
I'm just getting started with this, so before I get in too deep, are there any issues I should know about using DBMan with databases containing several thousand records? Does the cgi actually open the entire .db file in server memory in order to process it or is there some module it uses to make this more efficient? My database file could be upwards of a couple of megabytes in size.

I'm concerned about speed in my searches as well as server loads. And I'm debating whether I need to learn PHP/MySQL or some other technology, which I really don't want to do.
Quote Reply
Re: [oriscus] Using DBMan with Large Databases? In reply to
For such a large database size you would be better off using the SQL version of DBMan.

This version works well with up to 1 meg in db file size. After that you may see some problems.

The speed can be determined by various factors including your html coding, etc. There are also ways in which you can divide up your data such as using the relational mod, or external text files to hold textarea data.

But overall, if your database if going to be over 1 meg in size you should check into using the SQL version.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Using DBMan with Large Databases? In reply to
Thanks, Lois, I had a feeling that might be the case.
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Using DBMan with Large Databases? In reply to
Quote:
The speed can be determined by various factors including your html coding, etc.

html coding is not really a factor regarding speed. Things like processing power, ram and the OS will be higher up the list.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 7, 2003, 8:20 AM