Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Win 2K Server, IIS Install Problems

Quote Reply
Win 2K Server, IIS Install Problems
I have been using BDman for about a year and a half with great success. In the past, I have been able to serve my site via a unix server at my university. I no longer have access to it so I am trying to migrate the site to a Win 2K server I have at home.

I did not want the added headache of setting it up using my site with all of the mods, so I am using the sample DBman files. Once everything is working, moving my site should be easy.

My problem is: When I type the site url (either //localhost/backup/db.cgi or http://kelso.no-ip.org/backup/db.cgi) all I get is the script returned on screen.

I have been reading win 2k problem posts for the past three days and have tried most of the suggestions and nothing changes. I have a feeling that it is a permissions error, but I am unsure how to check the permissions. I added the site in the IIS manager console and set it to execute scripts.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated...

Also, food for thought... Would I have less problems if I use Apache instead of IIS? Would I be better off scrapping the whole Win 2K idea and use a linux box w/ apache?

Thanks,

Shawn
Quote Reply
Re: [skelso98] Win 2K Server, IIS Install Problems In reply to
We tried to setup a WIN test box and it gave us problems.

I too read all the posts and then tried to narrow down the problems one at a time.

Of course getting Perl going was one part and to test it we ran the sample scripts that can with the Perl install. First we got them to run on the test box itself, then got the test box to serve them to other machines.

After much work and a semifunctional testbox, my helper installed WIN NT workstation zipdrive drivers onto the WIN NT Server and it never booted again.Crazy

Oh well, we were also having a problem with hacking robots so we killed it.

Now we pay $35.00 per year for a shared server and a domain name and don't worry about it.
Quote Reply
Re: [skelso98] Win 2K Server, IIS Install Problems In reply to
Hi,

It seems that your IIS does not recognize *.cgi or *.pl file.

Followings may helps

In your Internet information service panel, right click on the virtual directory or something like that. Then choose the properties command.

Select the Configuration button in the pop window, then click on the add button on the pop window.

Type in something like this in the text fields

Executable: C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe %s

Extension: .cgi

Then accept all other and try again

Cheers,

Cheers,

Dat

Programming and creating plugins and templates
Blog
Quote Reply
Re: [tandat] Win 2K Server, IIS Install Problems In reply to
Quote:
It seems that your IIS does not recognize *.cgi or *.pl file.

I recall this problem and know that the exact instructions we used were found on the Perl site http://www.activestate.com/

this is the Perl that was recommended at that time anyway.

I think the instructions were part of the help after the install was made.

Hope that helps. Soory I can't find the exact instructions, but they go something like what Tandat said, using the IIS window.

Perhaps you are beyond the Perl install now.

I meant what I said about hacking robots, so make sure you close all the doors on your IIS and set passwords.
Quote Reply
Re:Win 2K Server, IIS Install Problems In reply to
Thanks for the help! Smile I had already gone through the setup, but just as I suspected, it was a really stupid mistake. I forgot the %s %s on the executable. Everything is working now...

Thanks Again!!

Shawn