Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

admin's inquire button displays incrypted password

Quote Reply
admin's inquire button displays incrypted password
When I use the inquire button, the password displayed seems to be encrypted!?!

I've got the system setup with record ownership and only the administrator can create new accounts.

I could remove the inquire button. If a user forgets his password you just delete the user and create a new one with the same userid...but it would be nice to get the inquire button to display the passwords correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: admin's inquire button displays incrypted password In reply to
The passwords are encrypted in the password file for security. There is no way to "un-encrypt" them.

You can do what you have done -- delete the user and then make a new one with the same userid and a new password. Or, since the admin is the only one to create accounts, you could keep a list of the users and their passwords separate from DBMan.

You could remove the encryption of passwords altogether, but that would require rebuilding your current .pass file. You could go even further and implement the "password lookup" mod, which would allow users to have their password sent to them if they forget it. Again, you would have to rebuild your current .pass file, not only to enter the unecrypted passwords, but also to add email addresses for the current users.

------------------
JPD