Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

admin section and passwords

Quote Reply
admin section and passwords
Hi,

I am taking over a current dbman which has had some customizations. I'm also moving it to a new server. The general section of the site and the two databases are working fine. However, I can't get into the admin section of the site. I put in the username and passwords three times, then get an authorization required message. I've tried going to db.cgi?uid=default but I can't get into the admin section from there.

Thanks for the help.

Kris
Quote Reply
Re: [webweaver6] admin section and passwords In reply to
Let's see, that is kinda like when I forgot my admin password.

So what I did was, FTP to get the .pass file, notepad to edit the file, replaced the admin line with the admin line from default.pass (from the original dDBman download), save, make about 'a hundred' backups of the current .pass file, cross fingers and toes, ask student workers to cross same, FTP the file back, goto LogOn screen, admin,admin. BINGO, go reset the admin password ASAP, let student workers relax fingers.Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [joematt] admin section and passwords In reply to
OK - after all my fingers and toes are crossed - I am now using the .pass file from the download but it still doesn't work. I've also checked to make sure the permissions on all of the files are set correctly. The default.pass is set as follows:

# UserID : Password : View : Add : Del : Mod: Admin
admin:A.f0Kvdiyy8q2:1:1:1:1:1
author:zs047RckAhJH6:1:1:1:1:0
guest:ZX9XTlIfPvdGE:1:0:0:0:0

There is also a members.pass and events.pass which are now the same as the file above. But all to no avail - I still can't get in. Where else should I check for this?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
So you are able to get to the logon screen, but it does not accept your password, correct?

Check that the .cfg file points to the correct .pass file.

# Full path and file name of the password file.
$auth_pw_file = $db_script_path . "/default.pass";

And that the logon form is querying the correct .cfg
At the logon screen view the html source and look for

<input type=hidden name="db" value="default">

Note, in the above, "default" refers to the name of the .cfg file not the .db nor the .cgi file.

So in a nutshell, logon screen points to a .cfg file which points to .pass file. All pointing must be accurate.

I sure hope that you have the old password files if you previously had users. Of course upload files to the server as ascii. If you can't get to the logon screen, that is another issue.

Also, if you have moved the files to the new server, make sure the Auth folder has the correct permissions, which allow the script to wrtie to the folder. I think it's covered in the install instructions, but escapes me exactly.

Last edited by:

joematt: Mar 18, 2003, 11:18 AM
Quote Reply
I've re-checked permissions on all of the files, re-uploaded making sure it was ascii, and made sure all of the paths were correct. When I go to the existing live site to login to admin, I first get a popup window asking for username and password, then the html file asking which database, and then they login again. In my current site, I go to /admin, and get the popup window asking for username and password and that only leads me to the authorization required page.
Quote Reply
Please note that auth is a folder not a file and should be set to

auth (777) drwxrwxrwx

Might check that the auth folder is empty?

MIght double check that the that the new site has the correct db_dir_url in the .cfg file.

# URL of the directory dbman resides in. No Trailing Slash Please.
$db_dir_url = "http://penguin/alex/dbman";

If all else fails, install a fresh copy of the demo on the new server, just to make sure the new server can at least do that much. Sorry!
Quote Reply
Phase 1 fixed - this was fixed with help from my hosting company. They said:

1.) An .htaccess file was in the directory, and it was responsible for the password dialog box.

2.) The .htaccess file was attempting to authenticate users against a non-existent password file.

So, now I can login and get to the db.cgi page where I then have a choice of going into one of two databases. This time I pulled down the password files from the site that was working, put them up at the new site, and logged in with the username and password that they gave me. It worked!!!Cool

Thanks for your help on this.