Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

can't login

Quote Reply
can't login
I loaded everything onto my server via ASCII and set each files permission to what is included in the readme file. I changed the URL as instructed and thats ALL I changed.

The script runs, it compiles fine, the login screen comes up, but I can't login using admin, guest or anything. What am I not doing?
Quote Reply
Re: can't login In reply to
By the way the error it gives is that it says

Oops, there was a problem logging into the system: invalid username/password.
Quote Reply
The "oops ... invalid username/password" screen comes up when you first start the script?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
No, the script seems to run fine from startup. It doesn't give any errors when I first bring it up in Netscape. When I try to login is admin/admin or guest/guest it gives that error.

You can take a look at http://www.wdbryant.com/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi

I just turned debugging on and it give a CGI error upon startup. There are definetly a few things that look strange on the error report, but I am not sure whats really wrong.

Thanks for taking a look.
Quote Reply
I didn't see anything odd in the debugging, but then I could have missed something. I would suggest that, just to be on the safe side, you delete the current default.pass file and upload it again, being sure it's in ASCII mode. (I know that you did that already, but I'm just checking.)

I did read something a while back about some systems having a different encryption scheme than the standard one. I don't know if that's the problem here, but it's possible. Maybe someone else will have some ideas along this line.

Still, I'd try uploading the password file again.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I tried uploading in ASCII again, actually a few times, and there was no difference. I even tried Binary once, just to see if it was a fluke, but no change.

If it is the encryption , is there a way to create a new default.pass file from scratch on my server so that it will be happy with its own encryption??

Any other ideas out there???

Quote Reply
The other thing you could do, in case it's an encryption problem, is to take out the encryption routines. Take a look at my "password lookup" mod at
http://www.drizzle.com/~hall/dbmod/lookup.txt

You wouldn't have to implement all of it, just the parts that refer to changing the lines with "crypt" in them.

I don't know that this is the problem, though. Anybody else?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
A similiar suggestion often works:

Set $auth_allow_default = 1;
Set @auth_default_permissions = (1,1,1,1,1);

Go to:

db.cgi?uid=default&admin_display=1

and you can then add and remove users using the admin panel. Once you've setup your users, be sure to set default_permissions back to normal.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Hi,

just saw your dbman.
I try to create a account and to log on ( test/test ) and it works. perhaps something is wrong with your default.pass file and the admin password.
Try to do the following:
Change the default permissions for new users in default.cfg to (1,1,1,1,1)and create a new account by typing: http://wdbryant.com/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi?signup_form=1. Log on and use the admin function to see what is happening.
An odd methode but it works...

Bye Diemo
Quote Reply
Diemo's suggestion is a good one. I think that's the only thing you can do if your server uses different encryption.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
GREAT!!! It works now.

Thanks everyone for their responses.

I did make a second copy and implement the "password lookup" mod.
That worked last night, but having these other ways to use the encryption is even better.

Thanks again.