Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

can i add hrefs

Quote Reply
can i add hrefs
can i add an href to the database which will act as a pointer to another item in the database?

I tried putting in an href link but it doesnt show it as a link.

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
Re: can i add hrefs In reply to
It should work if you use

<a href="$db_script_link_url&$db_key=$rec{$db_key}&ww=on&view_records=1">Link to record</a>

This is what I use for the "short" display to have a link to the "long" display. I'm not sure what you're doing, but if you have a field in each record that contains the key of another record, you'd use

<a href="$db_script_link_url&$db_key=$rec{'OtherRecord'}&ww=on&view_records=1">Link to other record</a>

At least one person I know had trouble when using the "ww=on" in their URLs, although I could never figure out why. If you do have trouble, you'll need to take it out, but you might have problems getting the right record.

Are you, by any chance, using autogenerate to make your display? If so, there isn't a way to make a clickable link with autogenerate.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Re: can i add hrefs In reply to
I will be doing two types of href jpd.
one linking to another record in the database.
two linking to another html document.

i am only using autogenerate in the first instance. basically to kickstart my html. once i have got that i am copying it and then modifying it to include in my html.pl file. then i turn auto-generate off.

i have several questions related to this. seems to me that you cant be a perl expert without being a html guru at the same time. the html i can handle ok so long as i know how it combines with perl.

i am one of these people who learns mostly by pulling apart what others have done. trouble is i am never satisfied with just that and always want to make it do just that wee bit more.

figure i am going to have a few more questions for you guys. i just wish there were something i could do in return.

------------------
cybergaz