Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

checkbox with mulitple choices (script help)

Quote Reply
checkbox with mulitple choices (script help)
Hi everyone,

an apology in advance: I'm very new to CGI and I've been trying to learn, but there are still things you have to ask somebody about --- sorry.

I would like some Help if you don't mind. I want to change the input form to include a varible with mulitiple checkboxes.

example: sports - footbal, soccer, baseball, basketball

I want to set up my database for allowing students to enter in their profiles.

side note: I just want to let you know that this is one of the best "free" databases on the web. I've tried out like 10 other systems and this one has the best set-up, and support form I can imagine. Actually, for any "freeware cgi script" on the net.

Jonny Dunes

------------------
Thanks for everything !
Quote Reply
Re: checkbox with mulitple choices (script help) In reply to

Quote:
I want to change the input form to include a varible with mulitiple checkboxes.
example: sports - footbal, soccer, baseball, basketball

My understanding is that this isn't possible. What you'll need to do is set up a field for each one.

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
:-(

Yeah, I had that funny feeling you couldn't either. I've been trying to learn how to adjust scripts by reading FAQs and Forum -- self study. Sorry for the newbie question and thanks for the reply.

Have you guys ever thought about orgainizing all the old forums into databased groups or even into downloadable files? Then all of us "beginners" could read first and then ask later.

Once again, thanks for the outstanding support.
Quote Reply
The multiple checkboxes is possilbe, what's not is being able to search on them. For instance, you could click off soccer and baseball and pull up all the matches.

However, if you just want it for display purposes, and recording, then it will work fine.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
My two cents...

Using several checkboxes (one for each sport), you could put in an hidden field one number which represent a binary code. Assume that soccer is the bit of weight 0, basket is the bit of weight 1 and baseball is the bit of weight 2. A value of 5 means soccer+baseball. It is then very easy to search for the records having a certain value in this hidden field, value calculated from the checkboxes selected by the user during search criteria definition. Using > and < operators can give further flexibility.
Quote Reply
Any idea on when the feature of using multiple checkboxes for searching will be implemented?