Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

count how many times a record has been accessed

Quote Reply
count how many times a record has been accessed
Is there a possibility to count how many times a record has been accessed?
Quote Reply
Re: count how many times a record has been accessed In reply to
Hi Lukas

Not off the box. I would probably create a new field in the database and store the # of accesses in it but...

The first question/problem that I have with counting accesses is, What would be considered a valid access? Does a big range search count as an access for every record that was hit in the search? That doesn´t sound as a very accurate way of counting accesses.

If a range search is not considered as an access, then you would probably have to do something similar to what the modify subs do. First, you would give a list of the records and then you would have to select one record to view. Only then, you should add up one to the counter field.

You can probably do this mod by copying and pasting the modify subs (with a few little changes of course), although I am not sure how to modify that particular counter field without having a submit (hence it is not automatic)

It doesn´t look too simple (at least for me...)

Maybe somebody else can think of some other way...?

Cheers
-JO

Cheers
-JO
Quote Reply
Re: count how many times a record has been accessed In reply to
quote"First, you would give a list of the records and then you would have to select one record to view."

Can you give us an example code to do only this part? I actually ask this sort of question a few days ago. But got no replies :-( (oh well, I got replies for the rest of my othequestions :-)

------------------
Thanks for everything !