Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

frames and redirects

Quote Reply
frames and redirects
This is quite long.

I have finally worked out what it is i really want to do. Part of this has already been answered for me but the problem is so cunningly woven together i will have to explain the whole thing.

On logon there is an admin (1 person only) and lots of users with search only functions. The user will only be able to search on keywords not on any other fields (solved using the -2 feature). However... the user must be directed to a different page from that of the admin. This is because there is, necessarilly, a different look and feel for the user. So how do i send the admin and user to different pages, bearing in mind that they will have passwords.

The second problem is trickier. The users search feature will be included in a non-scrollable frame with the results being sent to another frame. Both frames will be visible always.

So i start off with a home page for the user which will be used to call the various frames. Then i will need to link the target results frame to the search submit key so that all results get put there. All frames will always be visible even though there are links outside of dbman.

For the user, I am missing out 1 intermediate stage of the ususal dbman search function as it is superfluous for my program.

I imagine that it must be possible to set-up my frames within the html.pl file, i.e. called from home which then calls the individual frames. Or would it be better to do it as a separate html file and somehow link in the dbman .pl file.

Sorry I cant show you what I am doing as this is an intranet site with firewalls and all. However, if someone is interested I could send the project files so that you can see what the results should be.

If I can get all this worked out I am going to pay alex his 100 dollars anyway, even though this is not a commercial site. He deserves it I think. Most fun I have had with computers in a long time.

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
Re: frames and redirects In reply to

Quote:
So how do i send the admin and user to different pages, bearing in mind that they will have passwords.

In the html.pl, you can do something like:

if ($per_admin) {
print qq~

admin html look and feel...

~;
}
else {
print qq~
regular look and feel...
~;
}

Quote:
I imagine that it must be possible to set-up my frames within the html.pl file, i.e. called from home which then calls the individual frames. Or would it be better to do it as a separate html file and somehow link in the dbman .pl file.

You could modify html_home to display just a frameset page. The top frame would go to a static html page, and the bottom frame would go to html_view_search -- the search form.

Make sure the search form targets the top page and you are set.

Hope this helps,

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: frames and redirects In reply to
not quite sure i understand you fully here alex.

i managed the first bit and it works fine.

but for the frameset page to work do i embed the actual frames in the .pl file. and if so where and how do i reference them.

sorry i am being a bit pedantic here.

------------------
cybergaz