Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

hey I'm dumb, help me

Quote Reply
hey I'm dumb, help me
I'm not exactly the best person in getting CGI scripts to work in the beginning. I've setup quite a few (including a UBB board, poll scripts, etc.) but I have a question here about DBMan:

I'm just trying to install the scripts and files unedited, the demo installation. The installation says:

"Make sure you edit db.cgi and check that the path to perl points to
Perl 5.003 or better."

Where exactly is that? Is that the thing at the very top (#!/usr/local/bin/perl ) or $db_script_path? If it's supposed to be in the $db_script_path area, what form do you put it in? Is http://www.website.com/directory/etc an ok form to put it in?

Also in the installation instructions, it states:
"Edit default.cfg and set $db_dir_url to the directory that db.cgi resides in. If you now go to the net you should be able to run the
demo database."

In the $db_dir_url area, what form again do you put the URL? http://www.webpage.com/etc ok?

I'm seriously thinking about buying this, too! It has some great features if I can set it up and I like the add-ons others have made.

Thank you.
the clueless Bubba
Quote Reply
Re: hey I'm dumb, help me In reply to
Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Another question, do I upload everything as Binary or is there something that needs to be uploaded as ASCII?
Quote Reply
ASCII!!!!!!!!! Only ASCII!!!!!! Nothing but ASCII!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile

You will have big problems if you upload any of the files in binary mode.

ASCII!!!!!!!!!! Three cheers for ASCII!!!!!!!!

(I gotta go to bed. I'm gettin' punchy!)

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Awww crap. I've been uploading everything in binary instead of ASCII. Thanks for the help..you see, I'm CGI-stupid. I'll try to fix it and post again if I'm in trouble.
Quote Reply
got the demo working. thank you, expect me to ask another dumb question later on :-)
Quote Reply
Great!

I'm a big proponent of the idea that the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.

I'm going to be gone for about a week, but other folks will help, too.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
The instruction

Quote:
Make sure you edit db.cgi and check that the path to perl points to Perl 5.003 or better.

refers to the first line of db.cgi --

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

The $db_dir_url is in the form of a URL. It must start with "http://" and will be the URL of the directory where your db.cgi file is.

Don't worry about changing the $db_script_path in the db.cgi file unless you absolutely have to. Most people don't. If you have lots of problems and nothing we try will work, then you might think about changing it. (Just fyi -- that is not a URL. But we'll worry about that if we have to. Smile )

------------------
JPD