Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

html.pl ==> chamisal.pl ???

Quote Reply
html.pl ==> chamisal.pl ???
I'm trying to customize the html.pl file.
Have checked all the chmod settings, the references to filenames in my .cfg file, and reviewed every change to html.pl.

db.cgi?db=default still works, but db.cgi?db=chamisal doesn't.

It seems that Perl just chokes on my version of html.pl (named chamisal.pl). What else might cause the following error message?

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@dbreedlove.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you
might have done that may have caused the error.
Quote Reply
Re: html.pl ==> chamisal.pl ??? In reply to
Hi,

Hmm, 500 server errors are almost always caused by:

1. Files uploaded in BINARY mode. Make sure you ftp all your files in ASCII mode.
2. Path to perl wrong, make sure the first line of db.cgi goes to Perl version 5.

If you are still having troubles, check to see what the server error logs say.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Alex --
1. All files uploaded ASCII.
2. Path to Perl is the same (same db.cgi file) as when running ..?db=default.

I can't find any readable error logs on the server. This is a Netcom Linux server. Subdirectories visible to me are:
cgi-bin
log_archive
htdocs
etc
var
logs
There's some stuff in log_archive (eg December.1998.errors.gz), but it's binary.

I'm stumped. Any other suggestions?
Quote Reply
If you have telnet access, try running:

perl -c chamisal.cfg
perl -c db.cgi
perl -c html.pl

Make sure all the perl parts compile ok, might be a modification you made in chamisal.cfg.

To view the error log, just do:

gunzip December.1998.errors.gz

and then view the file.

Hope that helps,

Alex
Quote Reply
Waiting for a reply from Netcom Tech Support on whether I can get telnet access.

Meanwhile, I found this repeated many times in the error log:

[Wed Dec 2 12:22:46 1998] [error] malformed header from script. Bad header=Illegal character \015 (carria: /www/cgi-bin/cgi-wrap/cgiwrap

I can't find a way in Win95 or MultiEdit to search for a \015 character (Ctrl-O). Got any idea where a \015 might be coming from?
Quote Reply
Hmm.. Maybe a mac linefeed? It's definately something with the linefeeds. What I'd recommend is downloading TextPad (http://www.textpad.com/) open the file up and then do Save As, and make sure file format is UNIX.

Then ftp the file across and try it out.

Hope that helps,

Alex
Quote Reply
Thanks, Alex --

I downloaded TextPad and "Saved As" in UNIX format. That cured it. (God, do I really have to get used to another text editor! <g> )

Netcom won't give me telnet access, so I'll have to continue uploading each time to test if Perl compile works. The activity and error logs on my Netcom site are apparently not directly viewable, only the .gz archive which they build once-a-day. Bummer. Guess if I stay with this Perl thing I may have to change ISP's.

Again, thanks for your help. (I'll probably be back. <G>
Quote Reply
The problem isn't likely nearly as complex.
Did you edit `yourdb.cfg' so that it points
to the right HTML file? (Maybe html.pl should
be named default.pl to help make this more clear?)

Alex: Actually, it might not be a bad idea (and certainly not hard to do Smile to have everything in default.cfg reference default.* - maybe even have Perl pick up on the name the database was accessed by, and then use `myname.[db|count|pass|log|pl]', with a fallback to `default.*' if a customized file isn't there.