Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

importing file with users and permissions

Quote Reply
importing file with users and permissions
Perhaps a strange question, but I try to use dbman as a database with information of users. They should be possible to modify their own data. Thats no problem. But now it comes:
- is it possible to import a file with all my users (otherwise I've to type it in) and give them several permissions

- is it possible to send automatically to myself or the user when he should look up
his information because his information hasn't been changed since f.e. a year.

Quote Reply
Re: importing file with users and permissions In reply to
Importing a file-- it depends on what's in it and what format it's in. If it's the user information, you should be able to convert it. There are some other folks here who would be likely to be able to help.

If it's the password file (which it seems that it might be, since you asked about giving permissions), that's a little more difficult. The passwords are encrypted, and I don't know how one would go about encrypting them. Then again, you might be able to get a perl script that would do it for you.

Regarding sending emails when a file hasn't been updated. That shouldn't be too much of a problem. You'll obviously need a "Date" field for when the record is added and you'll want to update it when the record is modified. There was someone (Daniel?) who mentioned he had a mass delete function he wrote to use with cron so the process would be automatic. It shouldn't be too hard to adjust it to send an email rather than deleting the record.

------------------
JPD