Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

max length ?

Quote Reply
max length ?
what is the max length of a field? posts here seem to imply that it can be anything but when I try to set it to 3000 (gulp) in the cfg file all works well until I try to modify and then at the bottom of the field in question I get a " SIZE="80" MAXLENGTH="255"> message and upon saving the record all is cut off below 255 characters. (I've installed the short/long mod so it may be sumth'n there?)

Thanks for any answer or workaround
Quote Reply
Re: [jury] max length ? In reply to
Are you using autogenerate? If not, then you've got:
Code:
<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="blah" VALUE="$rec{'blah'}" MAXLENGTH="255" SIZE="80">
tags that you need to change in html.pl

You have to change field size in default.cfg and html.pl - if you're using Autogenerate then somewhere in the db.cgi it is coding this for you. You'll have to find it and change it there.

Good luck.

Ps: If you're going to have humongo input fields you'll want to add the mod that strips out HTML/Javascript code from your inputs or else your users can type in all kinds of nasty things.

Quote Reply
Re: [jury] max length ? In reply to
If you are going to have that many characters within a field it should be defined as a textarea.
This will allow you to add a large amount of text.

In your .cfg file:

'FieldName' => [10,'alpha','50x10',3000,0,'',''],

In your sub html_record_form

<TEXTAREA NAME="FieldName" ROWS="10" COLS="50" WRAP="VIRTUAL" MAXLENGTH="3000">$rec{'FieldName'}</TEXTAREA>

Hope this helps

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] max length ? In reply to
Thanks everyone - I always get more than enough information and end up doing stuff I didn't evern think of when I asked the question.