Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

passwords

Quote Reply
passwords
hi we lost all of our passwords but still have the db.pass file.
how can i convert the encrypted password into a normal password without doing anything to any cfg or something file?>?
Quote Reply
Re: [reuben] passwords In reply to
I'm not sure there is a way to convert the encrypted passwords. Are you not able to just reload a copy of your .pass file up to the sever and have it working again?

You should also perhaps check to see why this happened if somehow your password file got corrupted on the server so you can prevent it from happening again.

In the FAQ under the section for passwords there is a snippet of code you can add to have the usernames and passwords saved to a .txt file .. as a type of backup in case the .pass file gets corrupted or deleted.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] passwords In reply to
Here is something that may or may not help you...

I use this file to make daily back-ups of my .pass and .db file. I run it on my windows machine (I have ActivePerl installed) every morning. This will FTP out to your web server where you have dbman installed and grab the password and db files and download them to your C: drive as a backup.

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use CGI::Carp 'fatalsToBrowser';
use CGI qw/:standard/;

use Net::FTP;

my $ftp = Net::FTP->new("yourDomain.com", Debug => 1)
or die "Cannot connect to some.host.name: $@";

$ftp->login("yourUserName",'yourPassWord')
or die "Cannot login ", $ftp->message;

$ftp->pwd();
$ftp->cwd("cgibin/dbman");

$ftp->get("default.db");
$ftp->get("default.pass");

$ftp->quit;

print "files downloaded, OK";
sleep(2);

I have the files placed in my C:\Perl\bin\ directory and run it by clicking on a desktop icon.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] passwords In reply to
no that doesnt really help me..
how about how do i generate new passwords that i can put in the db.pass file?
so i can just make new passwords?
e.g.
username admin password kentucky

??
Quote Reply
Re: [reuben] passwords In reply to
Copy the original .pass file from the DBMan zip file up to your server. Then login and then use the "admin" link in your footer. Click on the username "admin" and then "inquire" once you get the information displayed for admin just type in a new password.

This is also how you can add new users and passwords to the .pass file.

Hope this helps

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/