Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

what's "&nbsp" and do I need "$font / $font_color " ... custominzing

Quote Reply
what's "&nbsp" and do I need "$font / $font_color " ... custominzing
Okay, I'm pretty sure that &nbsp is something perl ... but what does it do? Sorry for this type of question.
And I'm trying to customize my ADD/View forms (probably the Modify form -- haven't gotten that far in thought if it's necessary or not). I saw somewhere in the forum that all you have to do is edit your form and paste it back into the html.pl file (of course matching variables and all) BUT I get an error message right from the begining. If I didn't just cut an paste I probably wouldn't have this problem. So, I'm figuring that the $font and &nbsp are tripping me up. There's only about 20 lines of code in "sub html_record". Am I right or am I just missing something even more fundemental -- lack of perl and possibly HTML knowledge.

------------------
Thanks for everything !
Quote Reply
Re: what's "&nbsp" and do I need "$font / $font_color " ... custominzing In reply to
dahhhh,, I think I just figured out $ n b s p it must mean " " space. but do I still need to add this to the form table or not.
sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: what's "&nbsp" and do I need "$font / $font_color " ... custominzing In reply to
You don't need to use $font or $font_color if you don't want to. They are just variables that are defined which allow you to easily set a font other than the default font that people have on their browsers. (I never used font tags on web pages until I used DBMan. But I think the fonts look so nice, that I'm gradually switching my entire site to using them.)

The & n b s p ; is an html tag for a "non-breaking space." You don't need to have that either, if you don't want to. The only thing you need to be concerned about is putting the field contents where you want to. The format for printing out the contents of each field is
$rec{'FieldName'}

Everything else is personal preference of how you want your things to be displayed. And, of course, you have to have input fields in html_record_form in order to get the information into the database.

------------------
JPD

[This message has been edited by JPDeni (edited January 19, 1999).]