Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Discussion :

mail question

Quote Reply
mail question
found this code in Mail.pm:
Code:
$self->{'X-Mailer'} = exists($opt->{'X-Mailer'}) ? delete ($opt->{'X-Mailer'}) : "GT::Mail $VERSION (Site: http://www.gossamer-threads.com; OS: $^O)";
what is it? why would code installed on my site contain reference to gossamer-threads.com ?
Quote Reply
Re: [delicia] mail question In reply to
I *think* it just tells people mail clients how the email was sent (i.e GT::Mail) ... some servers wont accept emails unless that paramater is passed in (the URL simply lets people goto GT's site, to check up on the software that emailed them - to make sure its not malicious :))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] mail question In reply to
thank you. i keep getting error every time i test the email portion of dbman sql and cannot track it down. do you know if the email part of this script (or any other GT script) requires static address instead of dynamic address of domain?
Quote Reply
Quote:
requires static address instead of dynamic address of domain?

What do you mean by "static" addresses?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
well, i hadn't heard that term for hosting either, but my web host says one of my sites is on a static ip address because it has secure certificate. my other sites do not have secure certificates and have dynamic ip addresses. don't know if she was using incorrect terminology because i associate static/dynamic with dsl etc.
Quote Reply
I think what they mean is the site is setup on a unique IP address (i.e that IP address is ONLY assigned to that domain)

ALL sites have to have a static IP address (but you can share an IP with as many domains as you want, assuming they dont have a SSL certificate that needs a unique one), otherwise the nameservers around the world would never know where to find them Whistle

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
that makes sense. now do you know if anything in GT mail functions would require unique address? the only site i have that GT mail works (in dbman sql) is the one with secure certificate. all the others produce an error message although the emails are sent - in fact, the emails are sent twice.
Quote Reply
Mmm, may be worth emailing GT about that - maybe they can shed a bit more light on the matter.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
yes, i emailed them sept 23 and haven't heard anything. only been a week though...
Quote Reply
Ah ok - yeah, they are pretty busy atm - took a while to get back to my email a little while back.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk