Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Forum Runner or Tapatalk for our forum software?

Quote Reply
Forum Runner or Tapatalk for our forum software?
Has anyone attempted to get either of these companies to develop a plugin, or developed it themselves, so G-T Forum users can read our forums on smart devices?

I don't even know if it's possible since the two plugins seem to be for a PHP environment.

Is there another app or plugin to make our forums smartphone friendly?

I think this is something we need for G-T to grow!

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Re: [Boomer] Forum Runner or Tapatalk for our forum software? In reply to
Hi,

To be honest - most "smart phones" actually cope fine with web-pages as they are. Agreed, it would be cool to have a way of "simplifying" the pages to make them more friendly to phone users (i.e less CSS less images, nicer layout, etc)

One way of doing that - would be to duplicate the template set you use, and then access it via t=xxxx from the URL. You could also go as far as writing a little bit of Perl to work out if they are using a smart device, and then re-derect accordingly. Something like they have here:

http://www.brainhandles.com/...ting-mobile-browsers

A quick conversion of that into Perl, would look something like: (totally untested!);

Code:
sub checkmobile {

if($ENV{HTTP_X_WAP_PROFILE}) { return 1; }

if($ENV{HTTP_ACCEPT} =~ /wap\.|\.wap/i) { return 1; }

if($ENV{HTTP_USER_AGENT}){

if ($ENV{HTTP_USER_AGENT} =~ /OfficeLiveConnector|MSIE 8\.0|OptimizedIE8|MSN Optimized|Creative AutoUpdate|Swapper/) { return 0; }

my @other_phones = ("midp", "j2me", "avantg", "docomo", "novarra", "palmos", "palmsource", "240x320", "opwv", "chtml", "pda", "windows\ ce", "mmp\/", "blackberry", "mib\/", "symbian", "wireless", "nokia", "hand", "mobi", "phone", "cdm", "up\.b", "audio", "SIE\-", "SEC\-", "samsung", "HTC", "mot\-", "mitsu", "sagem", "sony", "alcatel", "lg", "erics", "vx", "NEC", "philips", "mmm", "xx", "panasonic", "sharp", "wap", "sch", "rover", "pocket", "benq", "java", "pt", "pg", "vox", "amoi", "bird", "compal", "kg", "voda", "sany", "kdd", "dbt", "sendo", "sgh", "gradi", "jb", "\d\d\di", "moto","webos");

foreach (@other_phones) {
if($ENV{HTTP_USER_AGENT} =~ /$_/) { return 1; }
}

}

return 0;

}

Simply call with (in gforum.cgi):

Code:
if (checkmobile()) {
$IN->param('t' => "mobile_template" );
} else {
# carry on normally, and show the standard templat eset
}

Hope that helps

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

Andy: Oct 31, 2011, 3:39 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Forum Runner or Tapatalk for our forum software? In reply to
Thanks, Andy but you are speaking Greek to me! Frown

I'll contact you via PM.

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner