Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Adding new links question..

Quote Reply
Adding new links question..
Hi

When setting user required to No when adding new links... does links SQL Auto add the link owner as a user to the database?

If not how will it recognize them when they want to change it later?
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] Adding new links question.. In reply to
Hi, I don't think it does create a user for the person. However, when modifying a link with the password option turned off, all the have to do is specify an ID, or URL, to modify the link Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Adding new links question.. In reply to
Hi

You see the conflict comes..when you have set up the add link user required to No for a long while..

Then you switch to user required Yes..

The link owner will have trouble accessing their links.. and I could not find a solution for this yet..
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
You would need to come up with something to generate a username/password for each user. Its not quite as easy as just using a single SQL query, as I don't think the data resides in the same tables.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Adding new links question.. In reply to
Hi Andy

Thanks

I recreated the users profile based on the links owner e-mail lists and that should take card of the ownership part..

Now on my Users plug in...

I coulc not figure out why it will not accept modifying the User name..

I can set it up wher they can modify everything in the user table, but when I set the user name as modifyable it will return error message?
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
Username (in the Users table) is a primary key. You can't modify a primary key.

You might want to create an "alias" field,and use that. Allow users to modify the alias, or display name, leaving the Username field intact. Don't mess with this sort of LInks internal. You'll run into problems with upgrades, and other people's plugins. :)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Adding new links question.. In reply to
Thanks for the advice.. we will do.
Regards
KaTaBd