Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Description field error

Quote Reply
Description field error

When I tried to modify 'Description' field under link properties, I am seeing following error:

Right now I have 'column index' as 'Regular' & tried to change it to 'None'. & when I try to to this, I get the following error:

------------------------------
GT::SQL::Editor (24604): Cannot create index on 'Description' as it is a text/blob field at (eval 23) line 50.
------------------------------
Any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [VishalT] Description field error In reply to
Hi,

You can't index BLOB/TEXT fields. Only INT, CHAR, VARCHAR etc. The reason being, that indexes are heavy and it has to limit the size of them to be any good (or fast)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Description field error In reply to
That makes sense.. thank you for helping me understand :).

In the legal directory, I am working on, I am expecting to have over 40,000 listings, so I suppose, I will set 'description' fields as non-indexed, hopefully that will help with the performance.

Thanks again.

Vishal
Quote Reply
Yup. If you want them to be searched quicker, you should look at the "INTERNAL INDEXING" option for mySQL (Database > Links > Properties, then at the bottom of the page you have the option to change the indexing)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Yeah that is already set to 'Internal'.

Btw.. what is the difference between:

Column Index: Regular & Unique?

Thanks.

Vishal
Quote Reply
regular = indexes the value, which makes queries faster, but its not unique

unique = you cas only have one instance of that value in the field. So if you had two records with "test" as the value, it would reject the 2nd one as there was already one in the DB. Normally this is reserved for ID's where you don't want duplication

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
ooo.. that is plenty helpful... .. so for the field like 'Short Description', or 'Area of Practices', I should use 'Regular' & Unique should be avoided for most fields.. :)

this is very helpful.. Thanks Andy :)

Vishal