Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
PHP 8
Thoughts for G Links and php 8? Any chance that we will continue to be able to use Links in php 8, or is it time to close our doors? Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions? Thanks - Ron
Quote Reply
Re: [aimcmc] PHP 8 In reply to
Unfortunately GT haven't been developing GLinks for a VERY long time :( You could try updating it yourself - but I'm not sure where you would start. I keep having to tweak the Perl stuff every time a newer version comes out

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] PHP 8 In reply to
Andy thanks for the reply. Well, considering php 7.4 is no longer supported, I know our host will be forcing us to upgrade to 8, so I guess it's time to bid Gossamer Links a final goodbye. We've got 3 installations, so I'll update one to 8 first just for laughs and giggles and let ya know what happens, then kill the other 2. I'm surprised there hasn't been more folks discussing this, I guess everyone else let Links die long ago. Thanks again Andy. -Ron
Quote Reply
I think the PHP front-end stuff didn't really take off. I know I didn't get into it much (as I'm not a fan of PHP). So even pre-killing off GLinks, I think the PHP side of it was dead

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
We're not messing with this any longer, we're replacing all our GLinks apps. Bye Bye GossamerThreads. And yea, we're backing away from anything and all things php, too. Andy, thank you for your help, I do appreciate it. When I win the lotto, I'll send you a big check. Oh wait, I don't play the lotto. Oh well, wishful thinking. Andy, Thanks again. -Ron
Quote Reply
The bad thing about GLinks is, it is not being developed or officially supported by the company.

The crazy good thing is, GLinks is still a freaking beast when it comes to developing a directory-type site or other dynamic static combination-type site. It is simple but advanced.

I truly wish they can hand over GLinks to Andy or someone else who can develop it further.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [VishalT] PHP 8 In reply to
Just a guess for I asked a couple of times and never got a yes or no:
Probably they cannot hand it over because of copyright issues.
There are a lot of contributors / sources and handing it over or selling it might cause trouble so the easier way is just let it die and fade away.
Sad but probably true.
Quote Reply
Update... I replaced one of our Glinks with a different app. Once done, I upgraded the site to PHP 8. By golly, GLinks worked fine and everything I test appeared to work fine. We're still sticking with the new app cause GLinks is not mobile friendly. When I find time I'm going to upgrade another of our GLink sites to PHP 8, and if it works, just let it be for now. I think 8.2 is out, so I might like to test it too. But I thought you'd like to know that the PHP 8 didn't break it. Surprised me! -Ron
Quote Reply
Hey Ron,

Can you please PM me and tell me what app you are using that works as a substitute for Glinks?

btw: Glinks sites are template based site, all my sites are mobile friendly. However yeah, if you are talking about admin interface, it would be pain to use it on mobile.

Vishal
Quote Reply
Re: [VishalT] PHP 8 In reply to
Vishal, We're doing WordPress and Business Directory - https://businessdirectoryplugin.com/ -Ron
Quote Reply
aimcmc wrote:
Vishal, We're doing WordPress and Business Directory - https://businessdirectoryplugin.com/ -Ron

Thank you.

Vishal