Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Create CRM with Links

Quote Reply
Create CRM with Links
Hello,

Is it possible to create a CRM system using Gossamer Links?

Has anyone done this before?
Quote Reply
Re: [newme] Create CRM with Links In reply to
What exactly would you want it to do? You can make GLinks do pretty much anything you want =) I've built video galleries, web directories, local business searches, membership sites, and a ton of other stuff (which I'm not allowed to post :))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Create CRM with Links In reply to
I want to create a CRM similar to Sugar CRM. I am looking for a stable platform to that with and GLinks seems to be a good fit. Not sure what the limitations are however. Can you help?
Quote Reply
Hi,

I'm actually pretty bogged down at the moment, but if you wanna email Jack@gossamer-threads.com, they should be able to discus it a bit more, and give you a quote/let you know whats possible :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi, thanks for the post.

Unfortunately, I am not sure GLinks is the right program on which to build a CRM system, especially if you're comparing it to something as fully developed as Sugar, the basic fundamentals are just too different. It is my opinion that if you are looking for a CRM, Sugar is not a bad choice.

Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] Create CRM with Links In reply to
Thanks for your reply Jack. Sorry for my late reply.

I have used Links before a few years ago for another company but not sure if it can extend to what I am after. I am looking to build an application that is a CRM but not to the same functionality extent as SugarCRM. We have a particular segment in mind on who we want to target and Sugar is features are over done for this market.

A CRM is essentially a list of links. Customer lists, staff lists, supplier lists, etc... So I can see how Links can build it for us.

The questions are:

1. Once we reached the limit of Links in terms of functionality do we have full access to source code to further build on it?

2. Can we integrate other API to add functionality to Links?. For instance can we integrate Google AdWords data?

3. Can we outsource some of the extra development to Gossamer Threads? How do you charge for this type of work, is it hourly rate?

Look forward to your reply.
Quote Reply
Answers to your questions:

> 1. Once we reached the limit of Links in terms of functionality do we have full access to source
> code to further build on it?

We don't recommend making changes directly to the source code as that breaks the upgrade path, but we do have a full featured plugin system that allows you to alter the program's functionality as desired. Template globals also allow us to make available information within the HTML templates themselves, so we never really find ourselves in a position where we actually have to edit the base code.

> 2. Can we integrate other API to add functionality to Links?. For instance can we integrate
> Google AdWords data?

Not sure how you would want to "integrate" the data, but you can surely call adwords into the templates and there are some good examples of how adwords are integrated onto a site like http://www.startlocal.com.au/

> 3. Can we outsource some of the extra development to Gossamer Threads? How do you
> charge for this type of work, is it hourly rate?

Yes, we are available for custom programming. If you have solid specifications, we can quote a fixed price, or else can work by the hour on retainer.

Let me know if you wish to continue this discussion over the phone or private e-mail rather than a public forum.

Jack.

Last edited by:

Jack: Jan 6, 2011, 6:56 AM