Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Parsing (Again.....)

Quote Reply
Parsing (Again.....)
Finally got the Parse_RDF.pl to connect to the database. Now I'm getting this error after about 5 minutes of running the script:
DBI::db=HASH(0x81613c4)->disconnect invalidates 1 active statement handle (eithe
r destroy statement handles or call finish on them before disconnecting) at Pars
e_RDF.pl line 352, <CONTENT_FILE> chunk 401346.
ftp2:~/cgi-bin/directory/admin/setup$

line 352 is: $dbh_Links->disconnect;

Does this have to be changed to the name of the MySql database for it to work????
Quote Reply
Re: Parsing (Again.....) In reply to
are you running on a virtual host?

Quote Reply
Yes, I currently am running on a virtual host...
Quote Reply
Ask them if they are killing the process for using too much CPU.

Quote Reply
Which section do you need?

Quote Reply
I actually need two,
http://www.dmoz.org/Society/Military/
http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/North_America/United_States/Government/Military/

Obviously for a military related database!
Quote Reply
I'll see if they fall on a file boundary, and cut them out for you. I'm running a stats program now, and the server is too taxed to do any sort of large file edits til it's done.
Quote Reply
Thanks,
BTW, know of any good dedicated servers that I could switch to?
Quote Reply
Also, if anyone is interested...
Matt from 50megs.com just sold his site(s) to About.com for 9.4mil in stock options. Not bad for a HomeFree script!!!
Quote Reply
Hosting has been a big problem for people, more lately.

I'm working on a solution with my ISP, but I don't have any hard numbers yet. Most likely a shared server will be in the $400-500 range per month, with a dedicated server in the $800 range. This is taking into account the needs of Links SQL. There might be lower priced options for smaller sites, but the pricing and hosting are (and will be) based on resource usage. If you have a dedicated server, and your site grows -- you either need another one, or a bigger one. You just can't 'expand' into someone elses server. Same with shared hosting. You have a slice of a machine, but no bites from other slices. Running a high-traffic cgi-based site is not cheap. Especially if performance matters to you.

Quote Reply
Yep,
They are killing it before it gets started. Anyone out there willing to parse a couple of files for me???
Quote Reply
Okay.....
Great redo on the site!
I am still not able to parse the RDF data, been trying since Saturday #@$%@#!!!
Also, I can imput links manually, build the pages, and they show up on the static pages, but when I do a search, they do not show up on the search. Only categories, no links????

Quote Reply
Any links that don't go through the Admin or the Add cgi programs need to be "re-indexed".

If links don't show up on a search, the first thing to do is check the .def file (in the admin, click Update Fields) and make sure there is a WEIGHT for each of the fields you want indexed in the Links and Category tables.

Then RE-INDEX the site. A large site, may need to do this via Telnet.

I'll try to send you a cut of the ODP file later, but when the forum went down, I didn't have a copy of the fields you wanted.

Quote Reply
Thanks,
That did it! I probably would have never figured that one out. This SQL thing is new to me, and I'm going gray trying to figure it all out!