Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer List : Discussion :

Mailing Speed

Quote Reply
Mailing Speed
Hi,

I have been asked to try to speed up a GList installation. Currently we're able to send about 2666 messages per hour. I'd like to make it faster if possible.

We're running a LAMP system and I have already had mod_perl installed. Is there anything else that I should be looking at? I know very little about perl so it may be obvious to the rest of you but not to me.

Thanks in advance,

John
Quote Reply
Re: [johnnyb] Mailing Speed In reply to
Hi John,

Sorry about the late reply. The mailing speed will be based primairly on your mail system. Are you using sendmail, qmail, smtp, something else?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Mailing Speed In reply to
Hi,

It looks like we're using sendmail.

A bit more about the server: It's a dedicated LAMP webserver that serves a couple of simple websites and runs this script and I think that's about it.

John
Quote Reply
Hi John,

I'd check with your ISP to see if you are virus scanning locally injected email. You are getting less then 1 a second which doesn't seem right. On our mid level servers we hit around 750 messages a minute. We use qmail exclusively, and also turn of the virus scanner so it only scans inbound mail, not outbound mail.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi,

I checked with the hosting provider and virus scanning is off. We have the debug_level set to enabled, would this affect the speed very much? Also, where can I find the error logs it creates?

Finally, would the size of the list, about 170,000 subscribers, cause a slowdown by eating memory or anything?

Thanks,

John
Quote Reply
Hi,

Debugging enabled will slow it down, but not that significantly. You can check the Apache error logs for the debug output. The size should be ok, that won't matter. I'd check your sendmail configuration and see about getting it tuned for very high volume of mailings.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've got some information from the Apache logs and it appears there are some MySQL errors going on. Perhaps if we eliminate these it'll help.

I don't have access to the while log but here are some example lines:

Code:
[Tue Feb 13 16:44:57 2007] [error] [client 167.127.163.203] GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (6942): Executing query: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM glist_Users_Sessions WHERE (session_id = NULL) from GList::test_connection at /path_to_script/webroot/cgi-bin/glist/private/lib/GList.pm line 196
[Tue Feb 13 16:44:57 2007] [error] [client 167.127.163.203] GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (6941): Executing query: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM glist_EmailMailings WHERE (eml_opened = 0 AND eml_code = '3yN6hKYSjmyCGGZLkJHf' AND eml_mailing_id_fk = 42) from GList::User::user_open at GList::User::user_open line 61

Any ideas?

John
Quote Reply
Hi,

That's normal as you have debug mode on.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.