Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Altavista Mod

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: Altavista Mod In reply to
Glennu,
In the file search. cgi I change the altavista search mod for your code "Excite"
Everything worked perfect until today. It strange because when i search anything, it appears the number of links (excite) found but no link is shows.

Even the span bar >1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... [>>] appears!!!

I repeat, number of link and span bar, but no link is displayed.

Any Idea??

Greeting from spain!

Quote Reply
'Everything worked perfect until today'

Possibly Excite have changed their site layout? As mentioned before if using the altavista mod you'll fequently need to alter and change the code. Ie. you might change it and get it working again but you'll need to alter it again in the future when they alter their site again.

So instead why not use follow the instructions for getting results from Dmoz. As it's the 'open' directory it's okay to get results from there as long as you follow their rules (ie. display their image link).

Glenn

Links 2 Mods Site:
http://cgi-resource.co.uk/pages/links2mods.shtml
Quote Reply
Never mind change code, I know a little a perl.
The main reason of using Excite is because has many variables with those that I can play, p.ej foreing domain, diferent language. Ect..

Could you tell me how can discover the changes in their layout ??

How can to checks it?

Many Thanks

Why I can see number of link in my directory and is correct the span tool bar?

Quote Reply
Any ideas??

Quote Reply
'Could you tell me how can discover the changes in their layout ??'

Look at the html code of their results page and compare that to the code your using to match sections and parse the page.

Glenn

Links 2 Mods Site:
http://cgi-resource.co.uk/pages/links2mods.shtml
Quote Reply
Re: DMOZ Mod WHERE?? In reply to
Glennu... where can we learn how to modify the Altavista mod(in search.cgi) so it uses DMOZ results instead...? (I was able to change it to Excite but now, that is not working either... see earlier posts from others...) You direction is greatly appreciatted.

Pat//

> >