Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Bookmarks for Each Link

Quote Reply
Bookmarks for Each Link
I'd like to add a bookmarking function at the the end of each description with Links. I'd liek the viewer to be able to click on a bookmark link and have it added to an area on the main page of the site that would reflect a viewer's personal bookmarks. I found a way to accomplish this with the viewer going to a page with fields to enter in personal bookmarks, but I would like for them to be able to do this from within any category on the site. Does anyome have any suggestions? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Bookmarks for Each Link In reply to
Are you looking to for some mod that will create a bookmark list like the one at www.links2go.com?

I would like to also see a watered down version of the "bookmark" feature that www.links2go.com has.

My opinion is that a complex mod would entail a combination of cookies and user authentication script. A simple version would may be just use a java script that interacts with the person's desktop and adds them dynamically to the person's bookmark file.

I really don't know how to do this. But it would be a great mod to see.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Posted in error, please disregard.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited August 07, 1999).]
Quote Reply
i am going to make a download manager for my software thing.. (if i have time before september..)

it should be just like this..

jerry
Quote Reply
Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Quote Reply
Yes.
That's exactly what I'm looking for.
Quote Reply
Still hopeful that someone may have some ideas on this.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
So, you want to have a page for each user that wants only their links they select showing up?
shouldn't be too hard? Do you want this page to be accessible to that person whenever they come back? Sort of like my.netscape.com or my.yahoo.com where you can personalize the site?

Derek

------------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
One click for your DJ mix fix...
http://www.djmixes.com/
Quote Reply
Oh well.
I guess he went away.
Does anyone else have some ideas?
Quote Reply
I don't know much about this. But I think that would be too complicated (each for each user) and also, you will have to store a lot of cookies on your server.

I would be happy, if it is just possible that the user can select 5-10 links to be shown on the home page, everytime he/she returns. That may not be as complicated as customizing each page.
Quote Reply
That's all I'm looking for also.
Quote Reply
There must be someone out there who has some ideas on this.
Quote Reply
I think I might have found something like what you're looking for.
http://www.zdnet.com/...script/scripts/0410/
Quote Reply
Thanks.
I'll play with it a bit. It may be hard to implement with over 1000 links.
Quote Reply
That didn't turn out to be what I'm looking for. That script doesn't remember the bookmarks and you have to start fresh with each session. Plus I would like to see a "link" to make a viewer's personal bookmark.
We're getting closer.
Quote Reply
Anyone else out there have some ideas?
Quote Reply
Still on the lookout for ideas.
Does anyone have any?
Quote Reply
I think http://renaghan.com/bookmarker/ does what you want. The problem is, it requires use of php.

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
uhh... well...

cookies.. or you would have to use some login script like the one i am making for myself right now which saves a whole bunch of data about a user and allows them to logoff logon and stuff like that..

the best way i would recommend to do this is actually cookies.. you can save it with the name.. "yourdb" and then have it have id numbers to each link.. ie 1,2,3,4,78,200,202

and then the server gets it.. and then get's each record.. and then prints it..

i've worked with cookies before and they aren't that hard to understand after a few mistakes.. Smile but still.. sometimes they can be a pain in the butt switching different computers or your cookie cache getting deleted.. things like my.yahoo.com obviously runs off a HUGE db..

jerry