Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Delete old backup

Delete old backup
I have many backup stored on my disk with teh server, and the disk it is already full (60mb) and the links programm does not work well, in fact i am not able to add more links on database,and if i try to add link, when i go to build the result is that i loose more links.
The question is: Can i delete the old backup (i have backup from 2 years) or i must upgrade my plan for a bigger disk?
Thank you to everybody that can help me.
Gabriel

Gabriel

Re: Delete old backup In reply to
Yes, this has been discussed in the forum, you can delete the backups, for example, I just keep backup of the last week, also you can delete the old files in the "New" section of your links 2.0.
Hope this helps ^_^

Hiryuu Manga Network: El Portal Otaku en tu idioma.
http://www.hiryuu.com

I have a cron job that runs weekly that deletes all my old backup files..

So, yes it safe to delete them..

New Zealand Christian Internet Directory

Ian,
I admit I haven't browsed the forum on that topic yet, but could you expand a bit on which script you use in order to have backups automatically deleted by Cron?

Thomas
http://www.japanreference.com

In Reply To:
I admit I haven't browsed the forum on that topic yet, but could you expand a bit on which script you use in order to have backups automatically deleted by Cron?
Cron job is a unix command..
In Reply To:
The cron command starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. Regularly scheduled commands can be specified according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once may be submitted using the at(1) command.
My hosting service set it up for me - I keep one weeks backup always and the cron job deletes anything older than that.

New Zealand Christian Internet Directory

Thanks for your reply, Ian. I am aware of what a Cron job is, just thought you had a particular script executed through Cron in order to delete backups. Anyhow, nice solution!

Thomas

You don't need a script...you simply use the following command in your .sh file:

Code:

# Remove Old Backups
rm /absolute/path/to/backups/*

Then set up the Crontab to execute this shell file whenever you want.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Thanks a lot Eliot, I will try to implement that.

Thomas

Thank you to every body for your help.
I have deleted the old backups, and the program work well
Best regards
Gabriel

Gabriel

Re: [Stealth] Delete old backup In reply to
What (or where) is the ".sh" file???
Never seen such a file in Links2, anybody tell me???

Re: [useroo] Delete old backup In reply to
uh...ya create yourself...put it in a folder in your web account, then create a crontab to automatically run the shell script (sh). For more info on Crontab, go to the Resources section of this web site.

Adios! Tongue
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Re: [Stealth] Delete old backup In reply to
thanks, now i know everything - about useless answers i mean Mister "Stealth", if i had found an answer that i would understand and feel is complete i would not have asked in the first place but this forum seems as dead as anything on the internet (spell "virtual ghost town"), can't get answers in a complete bit

Re: [useroo] Delete old backup In reply to
Useroo, if you don't want an answer...then carry on with that attitude. Stealth was correct in what he said, you obviously just didn't understand it, or mis-read it. The website telling you how to setup a crontab file, also tells you to CREATE the file...nowhere does it say it already exists! Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Re: [Andy] Delete old backup In reply to
Thanks for that info.
I haven't been in this forum for quite a while and that is because i have before made the experience that no matter how much time you spend searching all posts you mostly find only bits and pieces and often totally different ones and especially stealths treads seem to run out of answers exactly where the simplest setence would finally clear up everything.......
I better ask gossamer support, they usually get right to the facts without telling me go first here then there then click this and then... while they could have said the solution in the same time
Have fun,

Re: [gossy] Delete old backup In reply to
In a recent post by Alex in the announcements forum:

Quote:
Search First: We have a powerful search system! Before you post, visit our search page. Try limiting the forums you are searching to just the product you are interested in. If you have too many results, try limiting the date to the last 6 months.

Search Again: Seriously, there are over 200,000 posts in this forum, chances are your questions has been asked a couple times. Also be sure to visit our resources section at http://gossamer-threads.com/scripts/resources/.

Welp, I gave you an appropriate answer to your question. Your attitude is neither necessary or warranted. Since you have not been here in awhile, I'd suggest reading the forum guidelines in the Announcement forum. And it is apparent that you did not research the question well enough before posting your question.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

I think the question about the .sh file has been answered so to prevent any problems I've locked the thread. If you still require help regarding this please feel free to start a new thread.