Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Exclude Category and its Subcategies from being searched!!

Quote Reply
Exclude Category and its Subcategies from being searched!!
Greetings,
I found a post about this but the URL in the post was invalid. So I'll post a new one:
Is it possible to exclude a category, along with its own subcategories, always from being searched?!!?

Thank you
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark2] Exclude Category and its Subcategies from being searched!! In reply to
Any idea please.. thank you
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark2] Exclude Category and its Subcategies from being searched!! In reply to
Hummm... Can it be done..?
Quote Reply
Take this code with a pinch of salt as my links script is very very heavily modified

Code:
sub site_html_print_cat_page8 {
# --------------------------------------------------------

my (@subcat) = @_;
my ($url, $numlinks, $mod, $subcat, $category_name, $description, $output, $i);

$output = qq|<div align=center><center><table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=100%>\n|;

foreach $subcat (sort @subcat) {
my $mod = $stats{"$subcat"}[3];
next if (@{$category{$subcat}}[1] =~ "CleanStart"); ## Prevents Category being displayed on homepage
my $new_add = $stats{"$subcat"}[4];
($description) = @{$category{$subcat}}[2];

$url = "$build_root_url/" . &urlencode($subcat) . "/";

Stu2000

- Top 100 forums / GT Links 2.0 websites -
Quote Reply
Re: [stu2000] Exclude Category and its Subcategies from being searched!! In reply to
Very helpful and was also very easy to setup just added some of the code to mine. It would be nice to have it so that some category done show at all unless you login and then are allowed to view sites that you are authorize to view. (Adult) Or a warning that that cat would have adult info and that you need to be of age and that by clicking here you agree to the terms for viewing. Also a pay-per-click setup would be nice as this seems to be the way of the future. Recip links also is nice have a code that was in the Gossamer Threads but it could use some work making it a little better but can't complain too much. Also the tell a friend or send this page that I have needs lots of work as it just sends to the person and does not collect the sender email for verification purposes and I was hit for spamming. So I had to stop that program. Well if only these things could be available and not for an arm and a leg as they are now. I would say that 99.% of the links places are not making a dime even with all the add-ons that could possibly be had to make money. So maybe there could be a partnership with the programmers that make the whole thing. If you make money they get a share. The program would have a affiliate type interface that would be setup and the programmer would get money if the site makes money. In some cases lots of money and in others none. But this way everyone that wants to have a really good links program would have one and if there is money to be made MONEY would be made in a greater amount. Just think you get a package that has all the goodies and thousands and thousands of sites are using it. No need for links back to the software site as most people don't like to do that anyway. The software company would make the money from the sales of the site, a percentage of the sales. If none well the only one that really pays there is the person hosting the site. Well I know this is just a dream and most people only look at the short term and not the long term. I would rather have money coming in for years and years from millions of little payments then from a few hundred or less payments.

The startup of McDonalds once said, Sell to the rich and live with the poor, sell to the poor and live with the rich!!!!!
rexxx webmaster
Quote Reply
Re: [rexxx] Exclude Category and its Subcategies from being searched!! In reply to
Links 2.0 programmers and writers are a dying breed, they have all moved over to links SQl, which does have nearly everything you listed above.

It has its own Pay per click program etc, but you will need to dig deep as it ain't cheap, last time I looked the PPC program was $1500.

Stu2000

Quote Reply
Re: [stu2000] Exclude Category and its Subcategies from being searched!! In reply to
I agree with you... if you are a newbie to Links.. do not waste your time with Links 2.x go streight to LINKS SQL.. it is whay more powerful. I regret big time that I started LINKS2.x eventhough it is very nice and flexable but I am now completely stuck.. My site is smoking because it became soooooo slow and I am forced to convert to LINKS SQL but it is a little bit of a hasle to me to migrate all features and mods that I spent soooooo much time on them to convert them to LINKS SQL....
Mark
Quote Reply
Don't quote me on this, but I am sure that you can easily transfer your links 2.0 over to links SQL, I am sure theres a built in program in SQL to allow this function.

I have never used Links SQL (installed a few websites with it thou), so can't be exactly certain on this though

I will check the links SQL script and get back to you on this..

Stu2000

Last edited by:

stu2000: Jan 29, 2003, 11:32 AM
Quote Reply
Well! probably you can easily migrate LINKS 2 to SQL but the problem is in the features that I have like:
- Category Title
- Bobsi exclude.
- Category Ranking
- Images infront of categories
- Images infornt of links
- Fack categories (using @ like yahoo).
- Yahoo mod.
- non-english mod

I do not know if these all mods has been migrated as well to LINKS SQL or not...
Thnak you...
Mark
Quote Reply
I can see your point, but its either upgrade, or have a slow server, either that or a severe prune is required.

Unfortunately when Links 2.0 came out, no one estimated its full capability, users here have taken links 2.0 well beyond its capabilties.

1000 medium sized links is about its limit, anything over this and soon you will see server changes.

Stu2000

Quote Reply
No Limit is more high we are running it with 5000 links and with detail page for each link Great
Megrisoft
Web Hosting Company
India Software Company
SEO Company