Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Is there any fix for the Top10 bug?

Quote Reply
Is there any fix for the Top10 bug?
Hi!

After reading old forums, I've realized there's no solution yet for the Top10 displaying more than 10 entries...hasn't any1 still have found a solution for that?

Plz I need that fix!

------------------
Alex Tutusaus
Atyc WebDesigns
http://www.webcamworld.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any fix for the Top10 bug? In reply to
what you talking about

jerry
Quote Reply
the top10 does not show 10 sites, sometimes it shows 11 and sometimes it show 12 sites
that's of course if you have enough sites to qualify. i personally do not care much about this.
Quote Reply
there is no "top 10"

jerry
Quote Reply
I believe there is a Top 10 Mod in the Resource Center.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
He's referring to the Top Rated page, which is supposed to be a top-10 page. Mine has shown 12 links all along, and I've never found a reason for this. I'm leaning toward taking the easy way out and renaming it "Top 12"... :-)

Dan

------------------
My links are at: http://www.dankaplan.com/runninglinks
Quote Reply
Hi!

Widgetz, I'm talking about the fact that the embeded ranking system of Links does not show Top 10 entries, but Top 12 in my case, and I need it to be 10!

Eliot, if you're talking about the Top10 to Template one, that was created because I requested it, but it doesnt fix the Top10 bug.

Any1 else?? Alex? Bobsie? At least say there's no fix!! ;-)

Thanks!!

------------------
Alex Tutusaus
Atyc WebDesigns
http://www.webcamworld.com/
Quote Reply
i'd just put a $i = 0; above the foreach statement.. then in it but at the bottom

Code:
last if (++$i == 10);

so like this

Code:
$i = 0;
foreach (sort { $b <=> $a } @top_votes) {
$seen{$_}++;
%link = &array_to_hash ($seen{$_} - 1, @{$top_votes{$_}});
$top_votes .= qq~<tr><td align=center>$link{'Rating'}</td><td align=center>$link{'Votes'}</td><td><a href="$link{'URL'}">$link{'Title'}</a></td></tr>\n~;
last if (++$i == 10);
}

but of course.. that's not the best way to do it.. right now i've been lazier than ever.. and i just did another 2 hours of my new layout which i am not close to finishing.. i wanna sleep Wink

course you have to do that with the rate foreach too..

jerry
Quote Reply
Can someone explain how Links determines the number of items which appear on the Top Rated Page?

I've been reading the old threads about this, but I don't quite understand how this is being set (I also am getting 12, though I have 17 sites with more than 10 votes now.)

What I would like to do is to display 20 or 30, and possibly once I figure this out, to span pages like the rest of the directory.

(forgive my lack of perl know-how, but I'm learning! Thanks guys!)
Quote Reply
Thanks benseb,
But I think you misunderstood my question. I don't see the connection -
$db_popular_cutoff = 0.03; # Top 3%
is for the What's Cool page, not the Top Rated page, right?

I spent another 15 minutes looking at the build script, but I can't seem to understand the rate section. If anyone can point me in the right direction to increase the display from 12 to 18 links listed on the Top Rated page, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Quote Reply
There is a FAQ in the Resource Center that discusses this issue!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Is it anything to do with this:

# Setting for popular cutoff, can either be a percent (i.e. top 3%), or
# a fixed value (i.e. top 10). Enter 0.03 or 10 respectively.
$db_popular_cutoff = 0.03; # Top 3%

If you had more than 100 links, the top ** would display 3% by defualt of all of the links?

THis variable is in links.cfg
Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot, but all I see in the RC is http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/resources/Detailed/367.html

This does not change the fact that only 12 results are being built on the Top Rated page. When I applied this, the results were different (1 link with only one vote displaced another with more votes but a lower rating) but still only 12 results were built on the page.

(BTW, I did apply the mod which displays the full description for links on the Top Rated page formatted like the rest of the directory, and I'm just using <%top_rated%> without the <%top_votes%> on the template.
I don't think anything in my links.cfg applies here.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious. Thanks.
Quote Reply
So, the unmodified links ngh-build will build more than 12 links on the Top Rated page by default? (if there are more than 12 links with 10 votes)?

If so, then I'll download the original and see what might have changed in mine when I changed the formatting of this section. Thanks.