Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Join - Exclude & Multi-Category Mod

Quote Reply
Join - Exclude & Multi-Category Mod
Loopy made a great mod for allowing a second category to be added when a resource is added and Elms did a great job on building the mod to multiple categories that put the select tag on the forms to allow users to add and modify a second category to there resource.

Well when Bobsie came out with the mod to exclude categories from users to add, I thought that this was just what I needed, but there was one problem, I still wanted to use the multiple category mod and both mods wouldn't work together. I built a mod that joins all three together.

If your using multiple category mod from Loopy and the multiple categories add forms mod from Elms you can now add Bobsie's mod to exclude categories.

If you are using Bobsie's mod for excluding categories, you now can use the multiple category mod.

If anybody is interested in this mod let me know and I will put up a page for it.

------------------
Joker
Concepts 2000 Online
www.concepts2000.com
tech@concepts2000.com

[This message has been edited by Joker (edited June 28, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Join - Exclude & Multi-Category Mod In reply to
I've just finished writing out the mod to Join the Multi-Category and Exclude Mod. You can find it at:

www.concepts2000.com/Mods/join.html

------------------
Joker
Concepts 2000 Online
www.concepts2000.com
tech@concepts2000.com

[This message has been edited by Joker (edited July 16, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Joker,

I do not want to come off sounding like some bonehead. However, it would have been nice if you would have contacted me for permission to republish my code on your page. At the top of my page, there is this:

Quote:
Copyright © 1999 Connors
All Rights Reserved

That is not there just for the fun of it. I am not going to ask you to take your page down or remove my code from it. I am only asking that the next time you want to use someone's code, ask permission first instead of violating their personal copyright and federal law.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Bobsie,
I sure do not want to tread upon your waters, however when you wrote the exclude code I asked you whether or not it would work with the multi category mod, you told me you didn't know and that you didn't have time to work at it, when I started to modify it to work with multi categories I asked you about a piece of code and if it would work, you also said:

Quote:
My best suggestion is, if no one else answers your question, try it out and see what happens. If you run into problems, then post the problem and what you have done to solve it. Someone is sure to help you out.

I may be wrong but it seems that in that statement you gave permission for anybody to try and make it work with the multi category mod.

I did give you the credit for your code, I only take credit for the mod to incorporate it into the multi category mod.

I try to give enough details so that those who have problems installing perl can do so with ease.

I did not claim to have written the multi category mod or the exclude mod. Both mods cannot be used together the way that they were written, so I wrote this mod to join the two together and make sure that they would work together.

As for the code, almost all mods incorporate pieces of code that are the same in order to make it function, that is how a mod is put together any way, using the code that is already in the program and modifying it work a new way. Most of the links code is pretty generalized and I don't see any other way of writting this to actually join the two together, if you offer a mod to be used by links users should you not expect that somewhere down the line that it might have to be changed or modified to work with something else? I thought that was the biggest benefit to using links in the first place, so you are always saying. I have already noticed changes being made to my Logolink mod, I do not get upset over that, actually that my give way to better mod that would not only benifit myself, but other users and help make links an even better program.

And what is a mod (modification)? It is modifying routines in a program to enable it to have a new function. Isn't that what you,I and everybody else does, take the existing code and modifying it to operate as a new or improved function?

Well I guess someone else will have to figure a way to write this so that the users can benefit from both mods without having to 100% re-write both mods or offend you. In the mean time I guess Those who would like to have had this mod will have to do without or write it for themselves.

BTW, you yourself stated you had no idea how to incorporate it and had never even seen the multi category mod.

Quote:
Since I have not written the AltCategories mod, nor installed it, nor even looked at it, I cannot say with any certainty how to incorporate my mod into it. Perhaps someone else can answer your questions.

My mods are written with the basic Links distribution in mind. I just don't have the time and resources to install any other mods and then try to incorporate my own mods into them.

You offered no help when asked, you just told me to try and figure it out myself. Seems to me that there are users out there who would benefit from this mod greatly, and the fact that it was made known up front who wrote the two mods I joined together.

I only put this up because I have had many requests for it. And as I stated at the begining of this thread, those who wanted it posted would have to email me.

I do not want you or any one else thinking that I pirated your mod, so therefore I will remove it from the public.

(it has been removed) what a loss.

------------------
Joker
Concepts 2000 Online
www.concepts2000.com
tech@concepts2000.com

Quote Reply
Hi, I seen what bobsie wrote and I thought it was the most pathetic bit of dribble I have seen. I am a lawyer (Australian but copyright issues are the same no matter what country)and you are not breaking any federal law.Bobsie I am afraid you copyright notice beens nothing, you have to apply and be issued a copyright license for what ever you wish to be copyrighted. But that is beside the point. You wrote a modification for links two and posted for other people to use, yet when someone uses it and praises it then improves upon it you kick him in the teeth that is pretty !#*^# isn't it.
JOKER I hope you haven't taken it down because I for one would find it very useful so I believe would heaps of other people.
So please put it back up I would like to see if it would suit me.
I suppose once bobsie reads this he won't answer any of my posts again. But what he said is not what this forum is all about people helping people. And bobsie if you don't won't people using your scripts then don't post them.

------------------
Quote Reply
come on people,
all bobsie asked for was to be asked
before you use his full code integrated
into a new mod. thats pretty fair, i would
think. Dont seek the splinter in your brothers eye.etc. why some of you allways
pick on others that do great service for all
of us , i dont gather. just put the mod back
up again , as its simple not the truth that
he told you to put it down. and as i know
in germany copyright does not need a license,
its a constitutional right. besides it is
unethical to recommend to ignore intellectual property, only because there might be no legal provision for it. thats
from a christian viewpoint though. but maybe
some of you rather follow Aleister crowleys
anarchistic advice: Do what you Want.
just some thought, not meaning to be
bigot,though a little bit angered.
love klaus

------------------
###################
The S-mart Links Project
integrate full Shopping
Functionality into Links
http://smartlinks.i-go.to/
##################
Quote Reply
Prior,

This is a subject that would have been better taken care of by e-mail, Bobsie has access to my email address.

Quote:
all bobsie asked for was to be asked
before you use his full code integrated
into a new mod.

I did not use Bobsie's full code, there are two distict mods both using specific routines, in order to join the two my mod had to make use of these.

Quote:
My best suggestion is, if no one else answers your question, try it out and see what happens. If you run into problems, then post the problem and what you have done to solve it. Someone is sure to help you out.

This is something that should not require permission, although Bobsie did give the go ahead to try to integrate it.

Quote:
just put the mod back
up again , as its simple not the truth that
he told you to put it down.

I did not say that I was made to take down the mod, I chose to.

However if this is how it should be, then many people here are going to have to spend time to get permission grom the original programmer for every piece of code or routine pertaining to perl.

How many mods have been made using a routine here and a routine there, aline of code here or a line of code there.

The mod I made did not duplicate the mod that Bobsie wrote, it only enhanced it and another, and credit has always been given to both authors of the original.

Tassie:
Thanks for your support, I'm not sure if I will post it again at this time. I do know that I might do my mods strictly for myself from now on. It dosen't pay to help others these days. I could see all this comotion if I was selling it or something like that, but I wrote this to help you and others like you, I just thought it was a good mod. At least I have the satisfaction of being able to use it myself.

------------------
Joker
Concepts 2000 Online
www.concepts2000.com
tech@concepts2000.com

Quote Reply

Quote:
I do know that I might do my mods strictly for myself from now on. It dosen't pay to help others these days.

Please don't stop posting your mods. Your mods are really great additions to the Links script. Smile

I'm sure Bobsie just forgot that he already gave you the go-ahead.

I do hope you will change your mind. The strength of Links is that people can modify it freely and share the modifications so everyone can benefit.

[This message has been edited by t_dog (edited July 16, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Bobsie,

I really didn't want to get into this, but there is so much confusion about copyright that sometimes it helps to clarify. While there are specific rights the owner has, it is fair to assume certain things about a work in certain situations.

Without going into the subtleties of it all, by saying "all rights reserved" you have simply reserved those rights. You have not stated them, nor have you given any way.
This is a great way to protect things such as works put into the 'copyrighted public domain' (ie: free to use, but copyright is with the original author).

As moderator in a public forum, and as freely as things are discussed here, you *DO* give implicit permission to people to use and modify, and otherwise do things with the mods you offer, except claim them as their own.

Essentially, you have put your work into the copyrighted public domain by your _actions_. Sort of Common Law vs Code.

You have never specifically stated what can and cannot be done with your modifications, and you freely offer them to people in various ways.

If you would like to reserve specific rights, you need to include a line or two on what rights you wish to reserve. There are thousands of scripts with disclaimers and copyright on them that specifically allow or disallow posting on other sites, yet allow the scripts to be freely used.

I hope that it was just a bad day for you, in an otherwise helpful carreer.

I don't think anyone really meant anything here, and I'm sure Bobsie (and others) would prefer if people link to their pages so as bug fixes are made, people automatically get the newest copy. FWIW: *I* know I dislike linking to important content on other sites, because links go dead so frequently, which is why we host everything except a few of the fastest banner services off our own servers, but that's another issue Smile

------------------
Robert S. Pataki, MD
President, PUGDOG Enterprises, Inc.
http://www.postcards.com
Quote Reply
To Everyone,

Nowhere in my message did I accuse Joker of pirating my code. No where in my message did I deny him the right to put my code on his page. No where in my message did I ask him to remove the code or to take down the page. In fact, my message to him gave him the permission he needed to include the code. My point of the message was that I should have been asked first if it was okay to republish the code I have on a copyrighted web page on another web page. That is the only issue, not whether or not Joker had the right to do the mod. All I asked was that, in the future, permission be obtained before the fact. Now I will try to address individual comments:

Joker,

I replied to the majorify of your reply in response to your email. I note with interest that there is much said here by you that was not in the email you sent me. The whole tone has changed based on those extras. However, I am not going to go into those extra parts. All I did was 1) give the permission to use the code and, 2) asked that you obtain permission first in the future. I meant no more or less than that.

I will reply to your reply to prior though:

Quote:
However if this is how it should be, then many people here are going to have to spend time to get permission grom the original programmer for every piece of code or routine pertaining to perl.

You were not using "pieces" of my code. You said you did not use the full code, but I couldn't find anything you left out except where changes were made to incorporate your changes and the other mod you were integrating. Other than that, all my code was there.

tassie,

By US law, all work is protected by copyright the minute it is published and, in fact, doesn't even need to be published to be copyrighted. Even notes someone makes in a personal diary are copyrighted. One does not have to register it officially first. It is best to register it for it to hold up in court, but it is not required. Courts could uphold it even if it were not registered officially.

I didn't kick anyone in the teeth for doing the mod. I just asked that permission be obtained before my code is republished someplace else.

I never said I don't want people using my mods. My objection was to the republishing of my code without the courtesy of asking first if it was okay. Joker's page contained parts of my code that were not necessary to his mod. In fact, nearly all of it was not necessary. Only the parts that needed changing were necessary to post, especially since the page included a link to my web page that contains the original mod.

t_dog,

Quote:
I'm sure Bobsie just forgot that he already gave you the go-ahead.

I didn't forget anything. I never gave permission to post my code as it was done. I only advised Joker to go ahead and attempt the mod and see what he comes up with and, if necessary, to ask for help if he runs into trouble. In his message, there is the implication that I refused to help which is not true. I only said I could not do it because I did not have the time to do it myself. He didn't need permission to modify my mod. No one does. That is not what my post at the top of this thread said or implied.

pugdog,

You are correct, I did not state what those rights are that I reserved. That is because copyright law itself states what the rights are. By publishing my mod on a web page, I gave implicit rights to anyone that wanted to use the mod to do so for their own personal use. All other rights were reserved by me. My mod is in the public domain but my code is not public domain. That is, anyone can use the mod, but no one owns the code but me. Since I gave no other permission concerning the code other than you can use it for your Links installation, no one had the right to republish it elsewhere without permission, which is all my message asked for in future cases.

Quote:
If you would like to reserve specific rights, you need to include a line or two on what rights you wish to reserve.

This is not required by Copyright law. What you are referring to is a software licensing agreement, not copyright. The term, "All Rights Reserved" is all the law requires if I wish to reserve all other rights under copyright. The page the code appears on is copyrighted. The code on the page is copyrighted. Republishing the page or the content (code) on the page is prohibited under copyright without permission. That is what the entire issue is about, not whether he can make a mod to my mod and publish his mod.

Under the "Fair Use" clause of copyright, he can use parts of my code without permission but he cannot use the whole thing which is what appears to me was done. All parts of the code not necessary to his mod were used verbatim without permission. My message at the top of the thread gave that permission (after the fact) and asked that, in the future, permission be obtained first. Nothing else was meant or intended by my message.

Instead, I am being turned into a bad guy when all I was doing was trying to protect my rights and trying to be nice by granting the permission that was missing.

I have seen people make mods that replace an entire script (i.e., nph-build.cgi or some other Links script) that people are told to download. That is a violation of copyright as well unless Gossamer Threads has given permission for the mod author to do that. How many asked first? I would imagine very few if any at all. That is why my mods only include the code that needs to be changed, not an entire script. No one needs permission to do things like that.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited July 16, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I am not going to answer to this response here, This has gotten out of hand, all further discussions will be done in private with Bobsie as it sould be.

P.S I want to thank those who had tried to defend me. We will straighten this out.

------------------
Joker
Concepts 2000 Online
www.concepts2000.com
tech@concepts2000.com

Quote Reply
pugdog,

I meant to address this in my previous post but forgot:

Quote:
As moderator in a public forum, and as freely as things are discussed here, you *DO* give implicit permission to people to use and modify, and otherwise do things with the mods you offer, except claim them as their own.

Once again, people are confusing my role as moderator of this forum with my personal messages and mods. My being moderator has nothing at all to do with my personal messages in this forum (or any other forum) nor does it give any "moderator" status to my mods. Those mods have no official standing any more than anyone else's mod. The mods are mine, written by me, and offered to Links users to use just as any other mod written by anyone else is. Being moderator in no way changes my rights to my own web pages and my own code. If it did, I would resign as moderator in a heartbeat.

Besides, this has nothing to do with messages posted in this forum. This has to do with code published on a copyrighted page on a completely different domain name than this forum uses.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited July 16, 1999).]
Quote Reply
To Bobsie,
I provided you with an 800 number in my last email to you, I am still waiting for you to call. I would like to get this straighted out.

------------------
Joker
Concepts 2000 Online
www.concepts2000.com
tech@concepts2000.com

Quote Reply
Joker,

First you say that you are only going to reply further via email and then you post another message here implying that I am ignoring your email to call you. This is just not the case. I haven't even picked up the email yet. If you are not going to post here anymore in this thread, then why did you?

I am busy right now dealing with other things (like other forum messages, customers to deal with, and a personal life as well). When I pick up the email, get the phone number, and have time to call, I will call. Although, from my point of view, there is really nothing to resolve. I have already said it was fine for you to use the code in your page. I said that in the very first message I posted here.
Quote Reply
I too have taken this to email, but I need to clarify some things you said first.

You are both right and wrong in the copyright issue. I'm sticking to this particular issue, not generalizing Copyright Law beyond its application in THIS, and similar, cases.

Works are fully protected from the moment of creation. What you do with the work, determines fair use of that work. And, Bobsie, that is what this issue is boiling down to.

Please understand, that what you have created, by your own admission is "Copyrighted Public Domain."

Unless you request that it not be put on other sites, people, can put on their sites where it is appropriate, and helpful to others, as long it's not altered or claimed as their own.

In this case, it was perfectly alright given your copyright statement, and actions reguarding your mods for him to make it easy for people to find a pre-requisite script.

You can ASK that it be removed, preferably nicely, but there would be no penalty under the law.

This is why books have the additional disclaimer "May not be reproduced in whole or in part except in brief passages for review" or something similar. "All rights reserved" is just that -- you RESERVE them, you are not enforcing them.

Yes, Copyright LAW gives certain rights, and full rights unless you give them away, but on the flip side, it also gives certain fair-use and "reasonable" provisions of a work.

This got really out of hand, but we (the companies I work for) deal with virtually exclusively Copyright, and we are very touchy on misconceptions either for or against the issue.

Your position as moderator here only partially affects the issue, it's not central to the copyright question.

I needed to reply to this here, but the rest is in email.

------------------
Robert S. Pataki, MD
President, PUGDOG Enterprises, Inc.
http://www.postcards.com
Quote Reply
Tassie,

You said
================
I am afraid you copyright notice beens nothing, you have to apply and be issued a copyright license for what ever you wish to be copyrighted. But that is beside the point.
================
Not true at all.

Well, I do not know of International Traties, but in the United States any work published by an individual does not have to be copyrighted or does not even have to include the copyright symbol. If any work is published the copyright automatically belongs to the publisher. Of course, some material is considered as public domain and we do not want to get in to that.

I just want to say that you have made a wrong statement and Bobsie or anyone does not have to pay some bureaucracy to get a certificate and wait for a year. I know because I waiting to get a copyright certificate for my work form the government and it has been over a year now.

In any case I think there has been a misunderstanding and I hope you guys (Joker and Bobsie) work it out and carry on the friendly and useful purpose of this bulletin board.

Can we all be friends now?
Quote Reply
The situation has been resolved between Bobsie and I, the Join Exclude & Multi Category Mod is back up and can be accessed at: http://www.concepts2000.com/Mods/join.html .

------------------
Joker
Concepts 2000 Online
www.concepts2000.com
tech@concepts2000.com

Quote Reply
As Joker has indicated, we have resolved this situation. Somehow, I gave the impression that he had used 100% of my code on his page; this is not the case and is not what I intended in my message.

My thanks to Joker for taking the time to develop and publish the modifications needed to join these two separate mods together.

Bob
Quote Reply
Hi,

I believe I've plugged the code in correctly. I'm having just one problem, though.

On my add.cgi page, the Categories and AltCategories drop down boxes are not listing the categories vertically. They are listing them horizontally.

Anybody know how to fix this puppy?

Take a look: www.armynavy.com/pages2 . Then, click Add URL.

Many thanks for your help.

------------------
www.armynavy.com

[This message has been edited by TrainedMonkey (edited September 08, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by TrainedMonkey (edited September 08, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Does this mod exclude all top categories? Is that how it works?

Should I have made up a big list of all subcategories?

Thanks.

------------------
www.armynavy.com

Quote Reply
Hey Joker!

I didn't give you permission to use and/or publish my MultiCategories mod in anyway and I demand that you remove it immediately!!!

How's that for a joke, funny man?

Brent

BTW, I am just kidding.
Quote Reply
Well, I think I've found at least part of the problem.

In cat_sel.txt and altcat_sel.txt, the Option tag is being placed Only at the Head of the full list and at the end.

Anyone know where I can look to adjust this so that the Option tag is added to each one of the categories and altcategories?

Many thanks.

------------------
www.armynavy.com

Quote Reply
Hi TrainedMonkey,

I had the same problem. I fixed in this way:

go to "sub site_html_cat_select_list" (site_html_templates.pl) and change the line:
$output .= qq| $category_name\n|;
to:
$output .= qq| <option value="$subcat">$category_name\n|;
This apparently works.
HTH,

Cesare

Quote Reply
Bingo!

You saved my bacon, cesare.

Thanks!

------------------
www.armynavy.com

Quote Reply
Thank you very much for this mod (and the tip at the end) it has really helped with the categories organizing....

All i have to do is add widgetz yahoo like @ referring mod thing and will be sorted....

Thanks again everyone.

------------------
-------------------------
http://www.freeontheweb.com/
Reviewed and rated resources for webmasters
-------------------------