Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Multiple templates?

Quote Reply
Multiple templates?
Can I have one template for each catagory?

I want to add a seperate Knowledge Base section.

With that, I need help creating an E-Zine type link system to index hundreds of help documents.
Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Multiple templates? In reply to
Well....there's always the Multiple Templates mod in the resource center:

www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/resources/Detailed/213.html

I've used that a lot and it hasn't let me down yet...

The drawback being that if you have a lot of categories and want a separate template for each one, you're going to be editing site_html_templates.pl or site_html.pl more often than you'd probably like, as well as creating a lot of template files (in which case that <%include%> tag is going to become your best friend!). I don't suppose it's anything you could control with the header/footer fields (and possibly additional fields) in your categories.db?

[This message has been edited by Kate42 (edited March 05, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Another problem, well at least for me, with this MOD (Multiple Templates) that it inherit the parent template for child category. In other word,
say you have a cateogry called World/Media
and you specify a specific template for this category (template1), and now you have World/Media/Newspapers category. Now you can NOT use a different template for this category (template2)since it is going to inherit the same parent template (template1)..

Hmmmm ... Does anyone knows a way around this....??

thank you and regards..
Eiad
Quote Reply
Widgetz posted some codes about three months ago that makes using multiple templates really easy! All you have to is add a variable in the build_all sub and then add a field to your category.def file and a field in your existing categories.db. This particular Mod makes it very easier to specify templates for lower categories in your tree, then having to write a lot of coding...In addition, Widgetz's mod makes it more dynamic, since the Multiple Category Mod is basically hard-coding category template files...If you delete a Category, then you have to go back to your site_html_templates.pl or site_html.pl and edit the conditional statements for the template files.

If this sounds like a better option, search this forum for "Widgetz Multiple Categories".

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
You need to define the lower levels first. I won't go into the code, as the url is above, however if you have the following directory stucture:

banners/dont/work
banners/dont
banners

You need to redefine them in that order, in other words each one can have a different template, you just need to remember when you make changes to site_html_templates.pl that you list the sub-directories (or categories) first.

Trust I've made some sense.

Regards,

------------------
Clint
----------------------------------
http://www.AffiliatesDirectory.com
Proud Support of Links 2
----------------------------------

[This message has been edited by Clint (edited March 06, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Thank you Clint. That was a very useful comment for me as I struggled in forcing the right template to be used in the right category or subcategory..

Oh..ya.. one more thing, now I do not have to install the troublesome Bobsie exclude cateogry in order to prevent users from submitting into this category; instead, I'll just use anothor template for this category with the "ADD A RESOURCE" disabled in it... cool or what..

Regards..
Mark

[This message has been edited by Edmk (edited March 06, 2000).]
Quote Reply
No...I meant Widgetz...he posted better codes than the ones that Bobsie posted. Unfortunately, the codes that Bobsie posted is quite buggy and incomplete.

Widgetz posted complete and better codes three months ago.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Hello Lee,
Sorry, I could not locate the MOD Widgetz Frown
Is it this one.../
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum9/HTML/000466.html

Oh.. you probably mean Bobsie and not Wedgez at:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum3/HTML/001985.html is this right...

Thank you ..
Mark

[This message has been edited by Edmk (edited March 09, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Oops..wrong Topic...

Sorry.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 11, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Re: [Kate42] Multiple templates? In reply to
In Reply To:
Well....there's always the Multiple Templates mod in the resource center:

www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/resources/Detailed/213.html

I've used that a lot and it hasn't let me down yet...

The above link doesn't go to Multiple Templates Mod. Infact it if for Reciprocal Link mod. Can anyone upload a copy of the Multiple Template Mod.
Quote Reply
Re: [bigpatsu] Multiple templates? In reply to
Did you go to the Resource Center and try searching for "multiple categories"? I did and found this url: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...rces/jump.cgi?ID=970